PDA

View Full Version : An option for jointing board wider than your jointer

Anthony Whitesell
05-28-2009, 7:28 AM
I just received my local WW guild publication (GNHW The Journal) and a gentleman by the name of Tom Cama (I believe that;s his last name. Sorry Tom) described a nice technique for jointing boards wider than your jointer. It doesn't involve any expensive or complicated jigs. You just need a planer wide enough to handle the board and a cheap jig for the planer.

Step 1: Set up the jointer to "rabbet" as much of the face as possible. So much the fence as far back as possible and remove the guard.

Step 2: Pass the board over the jointer to face joint as much of the board as possible. This will result in a flat face with an edge that's still rough.

Step 3: To the planer. Place the rough cut board with the jointed/rabbet face down on a carrier (MDF or melamine, you may want to add a cleat to the end) with the rough remainder of Step 2 hanging over the edge of the carrier.

Step 4: Pass the board through the planer until the top side has been smoothed.

Step 5: Remove the carrier board, flip the piece over, and pass the board rabbet-side-up through the planer to remove the rough cut lip that remained from Step 2 has been remove.

TA DA. Jointed and planed.

All credit to Tom.

If the width of the board approached 50% wider than you jointer (9" board and 6" jointer) you may have tipping issues when running it through the planer when using this technique. Where the unsupported rabbeted edge may cause the board to tip to that side if it was much higher than the opposite side. If you set the jointer up to rabbet most of each side (~4" from each edge on the 9") leaving a T-shaped board with the rough in the middle. The use two carrier boards each ~4" wide placing one under each edge would prevent the board from tipping.

I have seen lots of ways to handle jointing boards wider than a given jointer and this is by far the simpliest. It might have been nice to have gotten a wider jointer last year when I purchased my G0490, but not now. Now, I wish for (want/need) a larger planer :D although I'm not sure where I'd put it. :rolleyes:

Matt Day
05-28-2009, 7:56 AM
This is what I do and it works well, just takes some extra time.

Mike Gager
05-28-2009, 8:12 AM
one of the magazines had a tip a few months ago about doing it that way, could be where he got the idea

Jeff Duncan
05-28-2009, 9:16 AM
This is a fairly well known technique that's been around longer than me. It supposedly works ok, but I'm not a fan of removing the guard to use the machine so can't say I've ever tried it, nor will I in the future;)

Of course i have a 16" jointer now so it's not a problem anymore:D

good luck,
JeffD

Alex Shanku
05-28-2009, 9:24 AM
Works decent, if your wide board isnt too gnarly.

A few minutes with my #7 is WAY faster, imo.

Anthony Whitesell
05-28-2009, 9:39 AM
This is a fairly well known technique that's been around longer than me. It supposedly works ok, but I'm not a fan of removing the guard to use the machine so can't say I've ever tried it, nor will I in the future;)

Of course i have a 16" jointer now so it's not a problem anymore:D

good luck,
JeffD

I'll have to admit when using the jointer to cut rabbets, I don't care for the fact you have to remove the guard. The Grizzly G0490 guard just slids in and out, no tools required. Since I don't like it I just use my router table.

Frank Drew
05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I have seen lots of ways to handle jointing boards wider than a given jointer and this is by far the simpliest.:rolleyes:

Both simpler and quicker, just face joint half the board's width then flip it end for end and joint the other half. Two or three passes on each half, depending on the board's original straightness, and you're ready for planing. Quick, easy, and safe, IMO, because wood is all the time covering the cutterhead.

Gary McKown
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
"...just face joint half the board's width then flip it end for end and joint the other half. "

Over on the WN forum jgrout has described a simple T-shaped guard that clamps to the fence and covers the cutterhead when using this technique.

Bruce Wrenn
05-28-2009, 10:29 PM
If you don't put a shim on the in feed table that is aligned with the rabbeting ledge, it's once and done. Meaning you can only make one pass. Also knives have to line up with rabbeting ledge.

Frank Drew
05-29-2009, 9:20 AM
Bruce,

For which method is the shim necessary? The one Anthony outlined?

Julian Nicks
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
The shim would be nessecary if you need to make more than one pass to get one side of the board planed all the way through. I have used this method for a long time, and it works great. I am not afraid of using tools without the guards. As long as you are aware of it, and know how to properly use the tool, then you're fine. If it's too much to use a tool without the guard, there's always the hand tool option.

For me though, I just pop off the guard, do what needs to be done, then off to the planer I go. I screw a piece of waxed 1/8" baltic birch ply to my infeed table, and use that as the sled. It works perfect everytime, and I have done 10" wide boards using a 6" jointer.

Mike Gager
05-29-2009, 1:24 PM
can some one explain the shim thats needed?

Myk Rian
05-29-2009, 1:59 PM
The shim is just a piece of thin plywood, MDF, hardboard as wide as the jointed area.
After jointing the rabbet you attach the shim to the jointed face with carpet tape.
Run the whole thing through the thickness planer with the shim on the bottom to get the un-jointed face cleaned up.
Take the shim off and run that face through the planer to remove the rabbet.

Mike Gager
05-29-2009, 4:10 PM
i guess i was questioning the shim bruce mentioned.

Bruce Wrenn
05-29-2009, 10:29 PM
i guess i was questioning the shim bruce mentioned.Shim is attached to in feed table, using double sided tape. A cleat at the outer end keeps it from being sucked into the jointer. Edge of shim must line up with rabbeting ledge. After attaching shim, in feed table is lowered, and board face jointed. Without the shim on the infeed table, the support for the guard would cause the board to be cocked on a second pass.

Peter Quinn
06-01-2009, 8:12 PM
Shim? I must have a different jointer. For rabbiting on my DJ-20 AND the 12" powermatic at work you remove the brace that holds the guard all together. Takes about 30 seconds, rabbit to your hearts content. Another way to get rid of the rough on the jointed face, if it is less than 3", is to set up a fence on the TS with a gap above the blade slightly greater than the width of the rough, set the left side of the blade flush with this fence, and rip it off before going to the planer. You need to have a tall fence box in place to do this. Pretty easy, works great, will scare the pants of the safety conscious crowd seeing that much blade sticking up.

Since the boss bough a 20" jointer nobody at work really does this any more, but we used to employ it often enough.