PDA

View Full Version : Local wood for a skiff or dory

Doug Taylor
05-28-2009, 1:52 AM
Hello,
I'm new to this site. I wonder if anybody can offer an opinion on use of Pacific Northwest local varieties of wood for rowing skiff or dory. I refer to Western Red Cedar for planking, and Douglas Fir for framing and longitudinals.

I see most of the great authors on the subject, Chapelle, Gardner, Rabl, etc., addressed woods found back East, White Oak, Northern White Cedar, Cypress, Spruce, and so on.

I ask because I have a stock of Douglas Fir, and Western Red Cedar comes my way on occasion, too. I would like a decent boat that does not cost my pension to build. I will use marine fir plywood despite the checking problems since it is local and less expensive than imported. I am OK with epoxy and sheathing, not totally traditional. I want a boat to row and sail, not a museum piece.

Thanks, Gents, Doug Taylor, Bainbridge Island, WA

John Bailey
05-28-2009, 3:46 AM
My reading of the subject would suggest that the Douglas Fir is pretty good wood for, pretty much, all parts of the boat. I wish I could get it easily in the Mid West.

John

Nate Carey
05-28-2009, 7:09 AM
Doug...for framing DF is about as good a boat building material as you'll find. I like the smell of the shop when I'm using DF. And WRC is good planking stock; just keep in mind that it has little strength across the grain.

I build recreational rowing shells as well other small boat designs powered by oar, wind, and electricity. Many of my early boats were planked with WRC. WRC is less practical as a planking material presently due to quality issues, high cost, and spotty availability here on the east coast.

Plywood is another material I use a lot of. I strongly feel that a BS1088 grade product is essential in boat building.

Take a look at the following thread for more info -
Rowboat/Sailboat Construction Questions (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113004)