PDA

View Full Version : Easiest to use for exterior?

Tony Bilello
05-28-2009, 12:07 AM
I am new at signmaking. So new in fact, I havent made my first sign yet. I am still experimenting with a Mill-Route Carving System and it's templates.
When I am ready for my first exterior sign, what would be a reasonably economic material to use and how should it be finished?
Thanks in advance

Tony B

Myk Rian
05-28-2009, 7:46 AM
Cedar works good. With finish, or not. Your choice.

Scott Shepherd
05-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Depends on what you are making. Is this a sign for an office, a real estate community, your own person use? What does it need to look like, how will it hang or be mounted, etc. are all things you'd have to know before you could make that call. It really is job specific,in my opinion.

Tony Bilello
05-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Depends on what you are making. Is this a sign for an office, a real estate community, your own person use? What does it need to look like, how will it hang or be mounted, etc. are all things you'd have to know before you could make that call. It really is job specific,in my opinion.

Scott

Right now I am only thinking 'simple'. Probably just plain simple house signs or small office signs. I was thinking cedar but what are some other choices?

Joe Pelonio
05-29-2009, 7:59 AM
For durability cedar and redwood are the best choices, cedar is easier to find at a lower price. You can use other conifer wood such as pine, fir, and hemlock, if well sealed, but it won't last as long. All of them have to be primed when using light colors of paint or the tannins will bleed through.

James Stokes
05-29-2009, 8:13 AM
I would use sign foam myself if the budget permits. But I have used cedar a lot, it is pretty cheap and looks good.