PDA

View Full Version : mm s315ws VS. technomax s315ws Difference???

tyler mckenzie
05-27-2009, 11:36 PM
wondering if there's a difference between Minimax and technomax labeled s315ws sliding panel saws. I see some cosmetic button changes. Also does anyone know the maximum foot print it takes up with 8.5 slider?? thanks

Rick Fisher
05-28-2009, 12:43 AM
I am going to the Vegas woodworking show. One of the things I want to find out is exactly that..

The Mini Max Formula F1 jointer looks identical to the SCM Jointer.. Same company.. I suspect the same machine with one or two things different.

Rye Crane
05-28-2009, 2:01 PM
Rick,

Yes the tecnomax name denotes the higher end of MiniMax as does their "formula" line. My FS2 is the same as the SCM J/P unit. I will also be attending the AWFS this year. Let me know what days you will be there I would like to say hello. I understand that MiniMax will have a representative at the SCM booth this year rather than their own presence. Ask for Michael Kahn the MiniMax president will be able to show you the differences.

Rye Crane

John Callahan
05-28-2009, 2:34 PM
How do (and how well) the Euro style jointer guards work vs the porkchop style? Which is preferable?

Rye Crane
05-28-2009, 7:02 PM
Hi John,

My preference is the euro guard, it protects you while the machine is working. The porkchop guard swings open to expose the cutterhead
and eat your hands.

The euro guard extends across the cutterblock and for face jointing you can raise it for clearence. You push the board through the cutter and as your left hand approaches the guard you simply lift you hand over the guard and continue to work the board on the outfeed table.

For edge jointing the guard retracts it's entire length, so you just move it back to clear the thickness of the board against the fence and edge joint the same as with a porkchop guard.

There are some euro guards that make these moves automatically, one the suva guard made in Switzerland is around 1200-1500. usd

Try the euro guard out I think you will see it's advantages.

Good luck,
Rye Crane

Steve Rozmiarek
05-29-2009, 12:47 AM
How do (and how well) the Euro style jointer guards work vs the porkchop style? Which is preferable?

John, I'll have to disagree with Rye a bit on this one. I just can't seem to fall in love with my Euro guard on my Felder machine. It's a good device, but I get tired of setting it different for each function. If you don't reset it, there is possibly blade showing. I also am not keen on having to lift pushblocks or hands over the guard when face jointing. For one, it messes up your technique, for another it seems to be less safe. You can simply move the shield back, like you would in edge jointing, but then you loose the shield as the work passes the cutter. Now to qualify that, on a bigger Euro combo, it takes a big porkchop to cover 16" or more of cutters. That size of porkchop would no doubt behave differently than the 8" American style jointers. I would imagine that it would be cumbersome to say the least.

I'll gladly learn to love the Euro shield though, as long as it's on a Felder (ok, maybe a MiniMax):D!

Rick Fisher
05-29-2009, 1:43 AM
The Griggio comes with a Porkchop guard.. Which I prefer.. I looked at the Euroguard at Felder, while I could see advantages.. I also saw extra steps in setup..

I agree that I could see myself leaving it out of the way from time to time.. with a porkchop, its not an option. .

Edit..

When I was at the Felder grand opening, the Felder guy said to devote a space 10' wide x 20' long for a 9' slider.

I figure you would need a spot to stack the ply as well.

Hope that helps..

Rod Sheridan
05-29-2009, 8:38 AM
I found that after I used the Euro guard for a while, I liked it.

It does take a different technique, if you're using your hands to push the wood, as you come up to the guard you transfer the weight to the heel of your hand, with your fingers raised to clear the guard.

Then your fingers go over the guard, and you transfer the push to your finger tips, which results in a seamless transfer of force from the infeed side to the outfeed side.

Obviously if using two push blocks, it's a hand over hand motion, which is how I was taught to use a jointer, nevering pushing over the cutterhead.

Regards, Rod.

John Callahan
05-29-2009, 8:58 AM
Thanks to all. Never had an issue with the the porckchop style on smaller jointers I've owned/used but I've always been curious about that style on a very large jointer- they look a bit unwieldy and wondered if the Euro style was a better solution.

Scot Ferraro
05-29-2009, 4:24 PM
I have used the porkchop on a 16 inch SCMI jointer and it worked fine. I have a Euro-style on my Hammer and I prefer it to the porkchop, but both do their job in protecting you. If memory serves me the SCMI had a fiber-glass type guard that cut down on the weight -- I do not think it was stamped steel or aluminum -- could be wrong, but it was not heavy or awkward.

Scot

Danny Hellyar
05-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Tyler,
I have the S315Ws in my 600 sq foot shop, and it does take up quite a bit of room. I wouldn't recommend it for any shop smaller than this. I've had it for a year and a half now and it has operated very smoothly and accurately. I did have some initial problems with some excess vibration but with a little help form their tech staff was able to eliminate the problem. You can call or e-mail MiniMax and they can fax you a measured footprint of any of their machines. Without getting out my tape measure I would estimate it takes up about a quarter of my shop when factoring in usage of room needed in front, behind, and to the side, for milling of full sheet stock. With all the cabinet shops going out of business you might try getting a used machine at auction as there are probably a few out there now with the economic situation.