PDA

View Full Version : 3520 vs ?

John Fricke
05-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I've started to rough turn some larger bowls, 16"-18" and I think I may have a problem. Looking for input from more experienced user. Wehn I get the blank balanced and start taking a more aggressive cut the lathe slows to a halt on occasion and occasionally trips the reset on the controller box. Any suggestions? Doesn't seem to matter if I have it in high or low range. Turning at 6-700 rpm usually.

Mike Lipke
05-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Call WMH. something isn't right.
Motor or controller. How old is this lathe? Under Warranty?

Eugene Wigley
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
John, I have a 3520B and I really like mine. Powermatic has the drive set to trip before the motor windings heat up enough to cause damage. If you are turning a 16" to 18" bowl and taking aggresive cuts for any extended period of time it will put a considerable load on the motor. It is probably normal for the drive to trip out on overload under those conditions. Mine will do that occasionally when turning larger bowls. After the drive trips a couple of times you may need to take a break and give the motor a while to cool down. If the lathe stops turning and the drive is not tripped out you may need to check your belt tension.

Good luck, and have fun.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2009, 11:47 PM
John - I have the 2 hp Jet and can totally stop the lathe with to aggressive of a cut. I have learned that when taking a very wide cut - do not try to advance through the wood to fast. Even with a sharp gouge you have to let the tool do the cutting. When you force it - you either have to ramp up the speed or reduce the width of your cut.

Rasmus Petersen
05-28-2009, 12:22 AM
same here ... been doogin a lot of roughing out, and mine also stalls... but im roughin days at the time more or less only stopping to eat lunch...

could i choose i would have a larger motor installed..

Burt Alcantara
05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I've always had a too heavy hand with roughing and it is not uncommon for me to stall the lathe regardless of blank size. Oddly enough, the largest piece I've turned to date was a bone dry walnut blank about 17" in the rough. I was careful and didn't stall once. Just goes to show that a light touch is good start to finish.

Reed Gray
05-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Always turn bowls that size on the low speed range on the PM. You need the extra torque. I was talking to Bill Grumbine about being able to stall my Robust with less effort than I thought I would need, and he commented that he can even stall a VB 36. If a lathe was made that wouldn't stall, there would be a lot of injuries, and the lawyers would have a field day. Turn at the speeds your lathe will allow, and remove as much as it will let you.
robo hippy

Wyatt Holm
05-28-2009, 3:10 PM
The only way I have ever stalled my Vic was using the McN center saver, not with a gouge. If it is tripping the breaker you might want to check into your shops electrical.

John Fricke
05-28-2009, 3:48 PM
Not tripping the breaker, it trips the reset on the Variable Frequency Drive. Sounds like Maybe I need to be a little more patient and take lighter cuts.