PDA

View Full Version : Best blade for aluminum?

Jason White
05-27-2009, 9:18 PM
I just had the finish blade on my chop saw sharpened and it cut wood very nicely until I decided to cut a piece of aluminum T-track to length with it.

I figured the aluminum was soft enough, but now the blade seems to need resharpening (again). Goes through wood more slowly now.

Is there a better blade for aluminum I should be using?

Jason

scott spencer
05-27-2009, 9:31 PM
Preferably a blade with a triple chip grind and a negative hook will hold up best. Many are identified as blades for non-ferrous metal, and often have 80T.

Eric Larsen
05-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I have a Freud Diablo from a big box that I think cost me $40. I've cut a lot of aluminum closet rods, solar shades and t-track with it. (Probably 100 cuts.) No big deal cutting through wood even now.

When the blade gets dull, I'll just buy another.

Bruce Wrenn
05-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Look carefully at the blade, teeth in particular. Its there some aluminum "welded" to the carbide? This may be your problem. Next time before cutting aluminum, spray blade with WD-40.

Jeff Duncan
05-28-2009, 9:48 AM
As said there are blades made specifically for non-ferrous metals and these work very well for cutting aluminum. Generally I like to use separate blades when cutting aluminum. But it's not always practical to swap them so I do cut it with my regular chop blades as well and it doesn't really affect them. Keep in mind if your using the blade that came with your machine they're usually lower quality carbide that won't last as long as better blades anyway.
Freud makes blades for aluminum which are triple chip grinds varying from 5 to -7 degrees depending on thickness of the metal. But keep in mind that in addition to the tooth grind and hook angle, the carbide is different as well. Carbide for non-ferrous is a bit softer for impact strength. I have used the laminate blades which are similar in grind and angle with good success, but probably not a good idea for cutting a lot of stock since they're the opposite end of the hardness spectrum.
good luck,
JeffD

Jason White
05-28-2009, 5:14 PM
Hadn't thought of that. Will check it out.

Thanks!

Jason

Look carefully at the blade, teeth in particular. Its there some aluminum "welded" to the carbide? This may be your problem. Next time before cutting aluminum, spray blade with WD-40.