PDA

View Full Version : Shipping

Gerry Garcia
05-27-2009, 8:06 PM
Whats the least expensive way to ship from U.S. to A.U.?

Thanks for your help.

Jim Rimmer
05-27-2009, 8:38 PM
What's AU?

Nick Abbott
05-27-2009, 8:54 PM
Australia.

David G Baker
05-27-2009, 9:02 PM
Gerry,
There for a minute I thought you were trying to ship some gold. :D

Rob Russell
05-27-2009, 9:21 PM
Having been to Australia, it really depends on what you're trying to ship.

I would help if you provided some more information about what it is that you want to ship.

Eric Larsen
05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Least expensive?

1 - Put your message in a bottle.
2 - Seal bottle.
3 - Toss bottle off the Santa Monica pier when the tide is going out.
4 - Hope for the best!

OK, I deserve to be smacked for that.... :rolleyes:

Gerry Garcia
05-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Hmmm, thats something to think about Eric. loll

I would like to ship 25lbs of TX Ebony but its expensive in a priority box from USPS, $148. FedEx is worse. DHL, cant seem to get a quote.

So, if I toss the package in the Pacific, it will sink like a rock.....
Canoe express went out of business long long time ago.lol

Thanks, I need this info to make the sale.

Mike McCann
05-27-2009, 10:59 PM
find somone going to Australia and put it in a suitcase and have them carry it for you.

Eric Larsen
05-27-2009, 11:03 PM
find somone going to Australia and put it in a suitcase and have them carry it for you.

If you buy the ticket, I will be RIGHT THERE with your ebony, SCUBA gear, and a camera.

Mat Ashton
05-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Cheapest route is usually post office. I'd say it's a surface mail delivery of about 3 months for that sort of weight.

Couriers are notorious for adding all sorts of extra and very un-nessesary charges on to the price for the guy on the other end.

Should be interesting to see what customs has to say about raw wood...

Mat Ashton
05-28-2009, 12:24 AM
If you buy the ticket, I will be RIGHT THERE with your ebony, SCUBA gear, and a camera.

If you bring extra I'll put you up for a couple nights... May even give you a meal or two if you bring lots. Put it all in a sack and book a seat for it. When carry on was a little more relaxed I once sat beside a guy that had a lawn mower as his carry on - no shyte! He said he was taking it back for his mom in england - said they couldn't get mowers like that there.

Gary Click
05-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Wood may be a problem with Customs. We ship railroad parts to Austrailia in containers and the pallets must be sterilzed for bugs, critters, mold, fungus and disease before they can enter the country. It is generally cheaper to use steel or wire pallets.

Of course you could just smile and wave as you walk through Customs and take the Green Line.

BTW - Have you seen the old movie "Midnight Express", I think that was set in Turkey.

gary

James Hart
05-28-2009, 12:33 AM
I was coming back from Jamaica years ago with a Lignum Vitae carving of a head.
The customs guys were taking stuff made of mahogany away from people, x-raying it, weighing it....
I asked why they didn't pay the same attention to mine. they laughed and said 'no one in their right mind would try to hollow that out and no bug wants to gnaw on it.'
I suspect the Texas ebony has similar hardness to the Lignum Vitae.

Jim

Gerry Garcia
05-28-2009, 12:45 AM
Its basically identical to ironwood but I think it has more grain streaks.