PDA

View Full Version : Saw Set Model Number?

Charles McKinley
08-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Hi All,

Please tell me the model number for this Stanley saw set. I need to find directions for it so I can use it correctly. There are numbers on the knob on the front I'm guessing these are for the PPI. There is also a bar on the bottom that can be adjusted and I have no idea where it is to be set.

Thanks for your help.

David Klug
08-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Chuck, I just looked at my saw set, which I haven't used for yrs. It isn't a Stanley but it's the same principle. On my adjustment knob I have numbers from 5-11 which gives the setting for teeth per in. I can see a 10 on one of the pictures so I would assume that the anvil is set for a saw that has 10 teeth per in. After you sharpen the saw all you do is set saw set over the teeth and squeeze the handles together so that the plunger presses the tooth against the anvil. This creates the proper set for that tooth. Be sure that the plunger is pressing against the tooth on the side that has the angle filed in it. Be prepared to put some muscle in it because you are bending the tooth and most saws have very good steel in them.

DK

Roger Bell
08-18-2004, 10:52 AM
There are reprints of original Stanley factory instructions for several models of sawsets on Jon Zimmers antique tools site. Do a google search to get there.

Vince Sandy
08-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Charles,

I think that is a number 42 saw set. Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope this is helpful, Vince

Charles McKinley
08-18-2004, 12:56 PM
Hi David, Roger and Vince

Thanks for the help.

Bryan Nuss
08-18-2004, 8:42 PM
I can confirm it is indeed a Stanley Model 42 Saw Set. I have one myself in the original box. The box even has a picture of it on the front. It was my father's, and I would guess it dates from the middle or late 1950's.

Charles McKinley
08-19-2004, 11:07 AM
Thank you all,

It is a 42W to be specific.

Roger thank you for recommending Jon Zimmer's site. It has tons of useful information and tools for sale. http://www.jonzimmersantiquetools.com/

Thanks again,