PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood to put a brass plaque on?

Don Morris
05-27-2009, 3:23 PM
My cul du sac with 10 homes had some benches we put some brass plaques on to remember a couple people we had know for many years who passed on. The benches needed replacing and we've replaced them with all metal types. The plaques were just too big and did't look right on them. Everyone knows I do wwing as a hobby and they thought I should put the plaques on some wood logs/something and that would be a good substitute. I think common pressure treated pine might look a little tacky. This is going to be in the weather. Anyone done something like this and have suggestions.

Lee Schierer
05-27-2009, 3:40 PM
Ipe looks good and holds up well to the weather for a long long time. It holds up as well or better than teak and is not as pricey.

Roger Newby
05-27-2009, 3:43 PM
White oak and cypress are both good woods for outdoor exposure.

Phil Phelps
05-27-2009, 3:50 PM
Something dark. Lee has made a good suggestion. It should hold up well.

Erik Frederiksen
05-27-2009, 4:09 PM
Teak does well outside and looks good with brass.

Steve Bietau
05-27-2009, 5:18 PM
I've used white oak to restore beds in old pick up trucks. Also, Epifanes marine varnish is a good finish.

Steve

Frank Drew
05-28-2009, 11:41 AM
Genuine mahogany is superior outdoors, and pairs well with brass, but like most woods it will bleach in the sun; a uv-blocking finish will provide only so much protection, but can be renewed periodically.

Andrew Long
05-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I would second either IPE or Mahoganny with Epifanes UV Varnish, the darker colors will contrast nicely with the Brass.

Ron Jones near Indy
05-28-2009, 4:24 PM
Ipe would be my first choice followed by the woods the others have mentioned. Why Ipe? The color, durability and color (I think it looks really nice with brass).