PDA

View Full Version : laserable colored film ?

David Fairfield
05-27-2009, 1:34 PM
Hi

I'm looking for translucent colored films, no thicker than a milimeter, that I can laser. Something like those gels they use over theater lights would work.

Any ideas?

Thanks!:)
Dave

Dan Hintz
05-27-2009, 3:15 PM
Theater supply houses would be the easiest to look for, though not the cheapest for large amounts. Unless you're ordering rolls of the stuff, Google for something like that...

George D Gabert
05-27-2009, 3:20 PM
If you need real thin , we got some christmas wrap from michaels craft center. They had several different collors.

GDG

Dan Hintz
05-27-2009, 3:28 PM
Ah, good one George... never thought about that.

David Fairfield
05-27-2009, 7:00 PM
Thanks so far. Actually about .5mm or postcard stock thickness would be ideal. I think the wrapping paper would be more like a cellophane. But I'll check Michael's for sure.

I need something that will cut with nice crisp edges, not melt. This is probably not going to be an easy material to find.

Any other ideas?

Dave

Doug Griffith
05-27-2009, 8:15 PM
Not sure if it lasers but how about model airplane covering such as Ultracote or Monokote. The stuff comes in many colors.

Jim Good
05-27-2009, 9:28 PM
I thought the same thing as Doug. Monokote was my first thought as well as Solar Film for covering RC airplanes. Solar Film is thinner but since heat tends to make these material shrink for a tight fit, it may not respond too nicely with a laser!