PDA

View Full Version : Pool Equipment Enclosure.

Mark Singer
08-15-2004, 6:10 PM
We just added a pool...LOML idea after we finished the house! She said she did't use the last one and didn't need another...yeah! Well the pool is done and I must say I love it and use it a lot! The equipment would not fit in the spa equip room so I made a mahogany enclosure to screen it. As the new landscape takes hold it should almost disappear. I used 6/4 material and resawed in half for the slats. It took 260 mortise and tenon joints! I used my little Jet mortiser. The tenons I made using the bandsaw and CMS with the depth set high. Using stops the precision was good. I used West Systems since it will sit outdoors. I am just letting it weather, why fight it?

Todd Burch
08-15-2004, 6:39 PM
Nice Mark!! I've been meaning to make an enclosure, ala Alaskan "Cache" style for my pool chemicals for 2.5 years. And you've just shown proof that an enclosure for the equip would look good too!!

Oh - by the way - not a shabby view either!!! (Is that the fog rolling in, or a just another "clear" day in Laguna Beach?) :)

Tony Falotico
08-15-2004, 6:51 PM
WOW Mark, that's a beautiful place with an awesome view. If your in the market for another son, I am adoptable! :D

Tim Morton
08-15-2004, 7:46 PM
Very nice!!! And If you ever care to learn about maintaining the pool without ever going to another pool store check this place out.

http://www.poolforum.com/cgi-local/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

John Miliunas
08-15-2004, 7:51 PM
First class all the way, as usual! :) Now there's a pool with a view....Man, that looks inviting. Nice job, Mark! 'Course, wouldn't expect anything less... :cool:

Jim Becker
08-15-2004, 7:55 PM
Dr. SWMBO and I would also like to be adpoted by you, Mark... :D

Oh, yea...the enlosure looks super. Weathering is a nice idea as it should blend in very well with the architecture and landscaping.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2004, 8:19 PM
Put my name on the list too! (those wanting adopted that is....) Excellent work Mark!

Jim Ketron
08-15-2004, 8:46 PM
Looks great!
Nice pool and home you have there Mark.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-15-2004, 9:04 PM
Wow, what a view you have! Nice enclosure Mark!! I can't imagine that many M&T joints...how long did they take to make?

Mark Singer
08-16-2004, 12:05 AM
Thanks,
It took about 40 hours in total. I had my landscaper dig the footings and I poured thr concrete. hanging the doors was the final thing and not easy because of the slope. The mortise and tenon was tedious and requires care because accidents happen on repetative work. I got a bit close to the spinning blade on the CMS a few times and woke up quickly. A lot of ripping on the tablesaw and bandsaw. I almost used all machines and just a few hand tools. I am glad it is done and satisfied with the final product.

Greg Tatum
08-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Looks good...in my neighborhood, it would just be finished with a blue tarp :D ....but lettin' it weather should look okay too ;)

By the way, if my room is gonna be facing the pool what is the wonderful view I'm seeing?

Your other newly adopted son,
Greg

Mark Singer
08-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Greg,
We view the North Coast, from Laguna's Main Beach to Newport Coast ,Long Beach , to Palos Verdes. Straight out is Catalina Island and San Clemente Island to the South. To the East We have Saddleback Mountain. I am fortunate since my property is surrounded by preserved open space on 3 sides and my previous home on the fourth side. I sold it to a close friend and he is about 250 feet away.

Interesting point: the pool does not use chlorine. Instead it has a salt system and a cell which is controled by a computer and creates natural chlorine. The water feels pure! There is no taste of chlorine or salt....it feels like a lake. They have really come a long way. I think it is an Austrailian invention.

Chris Padilla
08-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Mark,

Tell me (us) more about the "natural chlorine" system your pool uses. Any links or pointers? :)

Love the box...I really need to work on my pool equipment closure as well but it is way down on the honey-do list.... :D

John Miliunas
08-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Love the box...I really need to work on my pool equipment closure as well but it is way down on the honey-do list.... :D

Yeah, me too! Looks like a great project. :) I'll get right on it...Well, as soon as I have a nice built-in pool, which requires the pump/filtration equipment! :D :cool:

Mark Singer
08-16-2004, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=Chris Padilla]Mark,

Tell me (us) more about the "natural chlorine" system your pool uses. Any links or pointers? :)

Chris,
It is amazing! You can swim under water eyes open and no red eyes! Bathing suits don't get discolored...pool tile or stone stays clean...swim suits don't fall apart... You really don't feel like you need a shower after swimming.
Here is the link....I have the Zodiac "LM Series" It only added about $1200 to the cost of the pool! I like it so much I am converting my Spa to the salt system.

I also installed the syncronized colored lighting. At night it continually changes color or it will hold a chosen color. It is all controled by a Jandy RS-8 pool controller which is very programable and user freindly.

http://www.zodiac-poolcare.com/English/Nature2/

Dan Stuewe
08-16-2004, 3:38 PM
I am nominating Mark's place for the first annual Southern California Creeker BBQ. All in favor say 'Aye'.

(I've been meaning to do that for a long time, and now I have the proof!)

Chris Padilla
08-16-2004, 4:35 PM
I'll make the drive down to SoCal for that!! :D

Jim Becker
08-16-2004, 5:13 PM
Heck, I might burn some miles for Dr SWMBO and I to go to that gig! After all...pony tails are in fashion in that neighborhood! :D

Mark Singer
08-16-2004, 5:39 PM
I agree! I have I nice BBQ and we can have a great time! I will take a pic of the BBQ and see if you think it is ok? It is not that big....we could get a portable unit. LOML makes great Quacamole and other things...like Ceviche and Peruvian lamb stew...Cabrito

Jack Hogoboom
08-16-2004, 6:01 PM
Mark,

Be careful what you are saying about a barbecue. At least in Caddy Shack Ty had a pond for Carl to swim in. I'm not sure you want that many 'Creekers in your pool. We're liable to upset the chemical balance of the water!!

BTW, I'm very clean and a terrific house guest!!

Jack

Byron Trantham
08-16-2004, 6:32 PM
Hey Guys, Mark and I will see what we can do for BBQ. You ought to see the view out of MY bedroom!.....Wake up byron, you're dreaming again! Sucks, it was soooo cool. :o

Mark the enclosure is just beautiful. I agree with you that once it weathers, it look like it has ben there all the time. Nice job.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-16-2004, 10:22 PM
I thought that might have taken some time to complete....excellent work. Nice that you have no neighbors on three sides and a good friend on the fourth.

Jerry Olexa
08-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Those of us who live in the Midwest admire and envy your spectacular setting and view! WOW! I lived briefly in Corona Del Mar in my early years. Outstanding work! Jerry:)

Thomas Cross
03-31-2009, 6:40 PM
Mark,
Your pool equipment enclosure is beautiful. You wouldn't happen to have the plans you used to build it? I have searched forever to find a set of plans to build a high-quality equipment enclosure, but no luck.

Frank Hagan
04-01-2009, 9:28 AM
Great work, as we always see from you!

I worked for pool equipment manufacturers for 30 years (Hayward and Laars), and the only concern I have is that the equipment is able to breath easily enough. I'm assuming there's no pool heater under all that wood (!) ... heaters need a lot of air (not to mention no combustibles nearby).

You might check the temp after the pump has run for several hours in the enclosure; they tend to run hot anyway, and lack of air circulation can shorten their life quickly. The motor label will have the max temp on it, and its usually about 40C (104F, I think). Get the enclosure up beyond that temp and you start tripping the thermal overload on the pump motor.

Greg Johnson
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Beautiful project Mark. Just curious... did you pour the pool. How is it constructed and what did you do for heat?

Thanks,
Greg

Cody Colston
04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Do y'all realize this thead is nearly four years old?

Greg Johnson
04-01-2009, 11:30 AM

I realized that right after I posted. :o I was going to edit it, then thought to leave it as is, because after almost five years, he may have some additional insight about this project. Nothing like a bump to reincarnate a good thread. :)

Greg

Bruce Page
04-01-2009, 3:01 PM

Nearly five years old.

Chris Padilla
04-01-2009, 3:34 PM
Perfect time for an UPDATE pic from Mark!! :D

It is probably ashen grey and the doors all askew and vines growing all over it.... ;)

Augusto Orosco
04-01-2009, 3:50 PM
I agree! I have I nice BBQ and we can have a great time! I will take a pic of the BBQ and see if you think it is ok? It is not that big....we could get a portable unit. LOML makes great Quacamole and other things...like Ceviche and Peruvian lamb stew...Cabrito

Wonderful craftmanship and amazing view!

As a Peruvian, now I have to make the coast to coast trip, too! That Peruvian lamb stew ("seco de cabrito con frejoles") is on of my favorite dishes. But of course I am completely partial to Ceviches, since I grew up in Callao, the port city of Lima :D

[edit] well... I got so excited with the Peruvian food that didn't check the time-stamp... I guess I am 5 years late for the BBQ! When are we having another one???

Mark Singer
04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Perfect time for an UPDATE pic from Mark!! :D

It is probably ashen grey and the doors all askew and vines growing all over it.... ;)
Ok I will take some pics and we will talk:rolleyes:

Chris Parks
04-02-2009, 9:16 AM
Most pools in Oz use the salt conversion to chlorine system. The only issue is cleaning the cell periodically.

Mike Wilkins
04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Really fine job on the enclosure Mark. But the view from the patio is what sets the whole thing apart. I could imagine myself sitting out there at the end of a long day having a cigar and a drink. Oh I'm sorry. I was dreaming.