PDA

View Full Version : Hairline for cutting

Brian Robison
05-27-2009, 9:20 AM
Hi Gang,
For me this is just an annoyance. Sometimes my hairline won't cut and I have to change it to a .001" line. Most of the time it's fine. Any ideas what the cause is?

Dave Johnson29
05-27-2009, 9:55 AM
Sometimes my hairline won't cut and I have to change it to a .001" line.

Hi Brian,

When you have to change it...

...What thickness does it show as before changing it to 0.001"?

...Are you sure it is Black?

...Was it an import as DXF etc?

Darryl Hazen
05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Did you resize the artwork? If you have "scale with image" checked the hairline changes if the image is up sized from the original size.

Brian Robison
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Not imported. I usually do a red hairline and it reads as a hairline. It doesn't happen all the time. You can shut down the laser and the computer and it might be OK next time.

Dave Johnson29
05-27-2009, 1:00 PM
I usually do a red hairline and it reads as a hairline.

It doesn't happen all the time. You can shut down the laser and the computer and it might be OK next time.

Brian,

Pardon me for asking obvious stuff, but is the laser set for Red as in RGB (255,0,0)

Are you maybe hitting the correct Red in the color pallete?

When you restart the laser do you use the same file and everything?

Make sure you have the latest driver software and I would uninstall, reboot and reinstall.

Brian Robison
05-27-2009, 1:06 PM
It's an Epilog and it should just need a hairline of any color. Latest drivers/ Firmware.
Same file with no changes. I'm sure it's a driver issue, just wondering if any one else has had this happen.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-27-2009, 2:17 PM
What happens when it "won't cut" the hairline? Is it sending the job to the laser and then the laser beeps to indicate there is nothing to cut? Does it try to raster engrave it? Does it not even allow you to send the job to the laser?

A little more details will help....

Brian Robison
05-27-2009, 2:47 PM
It sends the job and just beeps.

Dave Johnson29
05-27-2009, 3:45 PM
It's an Epilog

Guessing yet again here Brian, but are you using the USB port or RJ-45?

Brian Robison
05-27-2009, 3:55 PM
I'm using USB now but I used to use Ethernet with 2 other computers and had it happen then too.

Bill Cunningham
05-28-2009, 9:36 PM
It's an Epilog and it should just need a hairline of any color. Latest drivers/ Firmware.
Same file with no changes. I'm sure it's a driver issue, just wondering if any one else has had this happen.

Mine will use any colour, IF I have 'Map colours to speed power' set as NO
If it's set as YES, the colour have to match.. (mine is a older driver though) Mine will also recognize a hairline as anything from .001 to .007, so I tell customers to make any line they want 'engraved' as .010 and cut lines as .001

Kim Vellore
05-29-2009, 4:16 PM
This may not be the same problem but similar thing happened to me is when I print it brings up another window saying the page does not fit auto correct? when I say yes sometimes it changes the page size and the vector image is outside the laser print area. a print preview shows the problem. when this happens my laser just beeps. I shut down restart every thing and it works, because this time the auto correct did not re-size the print page. Something to think about next time the laser just beeps.
Kim

Bill Cunningham
05-30-2009, 8:48 PM
This may not be the same problem but similar thing happened to me is when I print it brings up another window saying the page does not fit auto correct? when I say yes sometimes it changes the page size and the vector image is outside the laser print area. a print preview shows the problem. when this happens my laser just beeps. I shut down restart every thing and it works, because this time the auto correct did not re-size the print page. Something to think about next time the laser just beeps.
Kim

So when someone says "My Beeping Laser quit working" it's not just a metaphor ?:rolleyes:

Peck Sidara
06-01-2009, 9:52 AM

Brian,

What does our tech support group say? Opinions are great but there are too many variables to trouble-shoot before determining it's a driver issue.

Are you waiting until the job is fully spooled before pressing go?
Is the job repeatable? Once it's spooled, if you continue to press go, does it continue to beep?

Did you change any parameters such as resolution, change from vector only to combined etc?

Just a few questions amongst others you and our tech group should be asking.

Brian Robison
06-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Peck.
It happens with a file that's been used before, and has worked fine. The only 2 ways to fix it seems to be either rebooting both the laser and the computer or changing
the hairline to a .001" line. I'm allowing time for the file to spool, I've tried pushing the go button after the file doesn't go the first time. So logic says it's not the file but rebooting fixes it, just not sure if it's Corel, Epilog or the communication between the two. It's really not a big deal, I was just wondering if it happens to other people.

James Stokes
06-01-2009, 2:22 PM
When I first got my Epilog I was using Corel 10. At that time epilogs tech support told me that there was a bug in it and to cut I would have to change from hairline to .001. Since then anything I wanted to cut I automaticly size to .001 and have never had a problem. Now it is just habit.