PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried cutting Abalam?

Joe Pelonio
05-27-2009, 9:04 AM
A local guitar maker has asked about this, anyone tried it?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Blanks/AbaLam_Inlay_Blank.html

David Christopher
05-27-2009, 9:10 AM
Joe, Ive used this stuff a few times, all I used was a razor knife and fingernail clippers

Joe Pelonio
05-27-2009, 9:13 AM
Thanks, David, but I meant on the laser, it's a pretty intricate pattern. If the laser won't work he'll have to use your method.

Mike Null
05-27-2009, 9:15 AM
Joe

I've used it a few times. I cut it from the back for inlays using several passes at lower power. This stuff is delicate and has many densities and hardnesses thus the multiple passes.

The inlay was done in an unfinished maple guitar head.

Brian Robison
05-27-2009, 9:23 AM
Ooooh, that's expensive stuff!

Joe Pelonio
05-27-2009, 9:29 AM
Ooooh, that's expensive stuff!
Yes, so best ask first and not waste it!

Thanks Mike.

Skip Weiser
05-27-2009, 9:56 AM
Is this the same stuff, Joe? About 1/8" thick total, with clear acrylic over the abalone and black acrylic under it? The actual abalone in the center is paper thin.

If so, it cut surprisingly well. About the same as 1/8" acrylic.

Peck Sidara
05-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Joe

I've used it a few times. I cut it from the back for inlays using several passes at lower power. This stuff is delicate and has many densities and hardnesses thus the multiple passes.

The inlay was done in an unfinished maple guitar head.

+1 here too Joe. I think it cuts better than real abalone or mother of pearl. Still very delicate and edges tend to powder up. Multiple passes at lower power settings/lower frequency settings should work good. GL.

David Christopher
05-27-2009, 10:16 AM
theres a guy from new zealand on ebay that sells the same stuff way cheaper that stu mac ( Ive had good results with him )

Mike Null
05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Just a point of info. The stuff I cut was .050" and came in small sheets with no laminate. Very expensive.

Mike Mackenzie
05-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Joe,

Abalam is cut with the laser everyday we have lots of customers cutting it. The MFG is Aqua Blue Maui http://www.aquabluemaui.com/. One pass at low power is all that is needed. The material is very delicate and breaks easily. A 10 watt laser system would work to cut this material so it does not take a lot of power.