PDA

View Full Version : Holow form steady for powermatic 3520b

jason lambert
05-27-2009, 5:37 AM
I would like to get a steady for the powermatic 3520b lathe, at least I think that is what they are called. I am looking for the type that is a big ring with 3-4 roller wheels that support a hollow form sides all the way around when turning.

Does anybody sell these. I know I can make one but I rather spend my time turning if I can and it makes sense.

Jeff Nicol
05-27-2009, 6:12 AM
Jason, PM sent.

Hope to hear from you,

Jeff

Cyril Griesbach
05-27-2009, 9:35 AM
You can send me the PM too, Jeff.

jason lambert
05-27-2009, 2:51 PM
sorry I know a bunch of people tried to send ma a pm. My in box is now cleared.

Tim Cleveland
05-27-2009, 7:09 PM
Would you mind sending me the PM too Jeff?

Tim

Bob McClurg
05-27-2009, 8:23 PM
Check out the Spin Doctor - www.theokspindoctor.com (http://www.theokspindoctor.com). He builts steady rests and holling system. The steady rest is built like a tank and will last forever. Everybody I know including myself are happy with the steady rest, etc.

Thomas Canfield
05-27-2009, 10:12 PM
I received my steady rest from Jeff Nicol about a week ago and have not put it to the test (or taken a picture) but did a trial fit on the lathe. It looks great and I am sure it should perform well. He certainly did a much better job that I would have done (no welder) and having one built would have cost more. I hope to find a suitable chunk of wood and test it out in the next few weeks, and then post a picture.

Chip Sutherland
05-27-2009, 10:17 PM
SpinDoctor has really nice stuff but since I just upgraded to a 3520b I'll have to wait a while before I drop that much on a steady rest. I built my first steady rest to 16" so that'll need to do for a while until I make a new one. Always nice to have some new tool to drool after....

jason lambert
05-28-2009, 7:10 AM
The spin doctor looks really nice but I would have to have it custom and is to much $$$. I find with 3 rollers the one on top interfeers with most hollowing systems with a lasor. I really need 4 wheels and moveable is better

The Jeff Nicol looks good anyone actually use this and can give me feedback.

I also found someone local that can build me a configurable one out of wood for $140 may go that rout. Is mdf/wood better I think it would help absorbe vibration and feel more dead.

Keith Burns
05-28-2009, 8:10 AM
I use two Oneway Bowl Steadies, one on each side. I like them better than the circle type. One big advantage to me anyway is that you can put them on and off without having to remove the tool rest and tailstock.

Burt Alcantara
05-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Keith,
Any chance you might have a picture of your "steady" in action?

JerHall
05-28-2009, 10:59 AM
You can leave it on your lathe while not using it and easily move it out of the way. And it doesn't take much room when stored away. Easy on and off as mentioned above.

Keith Burns
05-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Keith,
Any chance you might have a picture of your "steady" in action?

Burt, here is a photo.

Burt Alcantara
05-29-2009, 9:05 AM
Keith,
Thanks for that picture. As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words and that did if for me. BTW, what's that boring bar attached to? Is that a shop made rig?

Thanks,
Burt

Keith Burns
05-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey Burt, glad the pic helped. The hollowing rigs is a Jamieson clone, home made. Pretty inexpensive if you know someone that can weld. I have 5 of them so I don't have to change bars.

Gerry Garcia
05-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Keith, thats pretty! I'm checking around also for a steady, but Oneway quotes a price for just one piece, im not sure though. What does the two steady's run
complete as shown?

Thanks.

Keith Burns
05-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Keith, thats pretty! I'm checking around also for a steady, but Oneway quotes a price for just one piece, im not sure though. What does the two steady's run
complete as shown?

Thanks.

Gerry, you have to buy two units. They come complete. Packard, Craft Supplies, and Woodcraft all carry them. Check their prices as they vary.