PDA

View Full Version : Best round head paper collated pneumatic framing nailer?

thomas struth
05-27-2009, 4:11 AM
I know some of you might have experience with framing nailers. I think I may have settled on an impossible set of criteria for a framing nailer, but it seems like it should exist. Here's what I want:

pneumatic framing nailer
round head nails
paper collated nails
light weight (less than 8 lbs, 7.5 or less ideal)

Does such a thing exist? I want round heads because I keep reading that clipped are on the way out and not allowed in all codes. I want paper collated so that I dont' get whacked in the face with plastic on every fire. And I need light weight so that I don't kill my wrists.

If I have to give up one of these it will be either the head shape or the collation. The light weight has to stay.

thanks
tom

Rich Engelhardt
05-27-2009, 5:54 AM
Hello,
I have a Bostitch F28WW.
It's a lightweight - 7.6lb - beast.
IIRC, back when I bought it ~ 2 years ago - it was up there as one of, if not the, most powerful nailer in it's class w/1050 inch pounds of driving force. That allows it to drive masonry fasteners.
Comes w/a 7 year warranty - also, IIRC, the best in it's class.

Operating pressure is listed @ 80 to 120 psi. Mine runs OK at 70 psi. @ 70 psi., it countersinks the head ~ 3/16" & toenails flush.
Running at a low pressure like that is highly desirable. It equates to fewer compressor cycles (longer compressor life) as well as the ability to run a smaller more portable compressor.

The 28* allows it to get into really tight spots that some of the other's can't. It's not a huge selling point - but - it's sure nice the few times you have to crawl under a deck w/one.

Mine has never jammed. Not once. Not even close.

Drawbacks:
- Clipped head.
- Wire collated - but, in all fairness, having driven over two thousand nails w/mine, I've never had an issue with flying pieces of wire.
- Price. It ain't cheap. It's usually about $60.00 to $80.00 more than others in it's class @ $249.00 to $269.00. Mine came w/a free $79.00 palm nailer when I bought it which lessened the sting a bit.
- Power - as in too much of a good thing. Mine replaced a HF jamm-o-matic that required every bit of 120 psi to run. Even @ 120 psi. it still left the heads proud by ~ 1/4". The first nail I drove w/the Bostitch, after making an emergency run to Lowes since I was right in the middle of things, I forgot to dial down the pressure. It drove the nail nearly clear through a 2x4. I recommend treating one exactly as if it were a loaded gun.. While that's true of all nailers, I believe the Bostitch is up there in a class by itself in that respect.
- 28* nails. Check local availability. My local Lowes has usually had a decent stock on hand. I've read that isn't the case everywhere though.
Wherever you find them, it seems like the 28* nails run quite a bit more than the others.

Would I buy it again? I doubt it.
Despite the high praise I have for it, as you mentioned, many codes don't allow clipped heads.

FWIW - the PC 350 was #2 on my list. I went Bostitch for two reasons.
A.) As I mentioned, I was right in the middle of things & Lowes was 1/2 hour closer than HD.
b.) W/the free palm nailer, the Bostitch was a better value @ the time than the PC.

I believe I'd go with the PC 350 - which I probably will do on the next rehab coming up if $$ allows.

HTH.

Larry Edgerton
05-27-2009, 6:46 AM
#1 framer on professional jobsites is the Paslode. I use them as well. They have the nails you are after. They are dependable, and "Fasteners" fixes them on site in Michigan.

Jim Kountz
05-27-2009, 8:18 AM
+1 for the Paslode but you may want to rethink the paper collated nails. They are awful and if they ever get wet they fall apart. I got rid of mine for this very reason. I use the Bostitch and Hitachi plastic collated nailers and cant complain. One of my Bostich nailers is going on 15 years of daily use with one rebuild during that time. Rebuild was less then $40 and took about an hour to do one afternoon on the job. With the plastic collated you will have pieces of plastic fly out from time to time but not an issue if you're wearing safety glasses which you should be anyway when using such a tool. Its not like the plastic shoots out like fired from a gun either. They just kind of fly out the side. Ive had them hit me before and its no big deal, doesnt hurt or anything.

John Callahan
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Hitachi's NR90AE might fill the bill if you're not put off by it's Darth Vader looks :D. Light (7 1/2 lbs) and I believe it will accept paper collated nails though I'd note that you'll have to hunt around a little for them. I'd echo Jim Kountz's comment's about paper collation- keep 'em dry! I had to toss a box after I had a leak in my truck cap :mad:. I have the clipped head version (NR90AD) and have been pleased with it. It's light, very well balanced and has low recoil. I probably would have gone for NR90AE had it been available when I bought mine. In my neck of the woods most framers use Hitachi (usually the tried and true NR83's) and I've been pleased with my other Hitachi nailers. You probably won't be able to actually try various nailers unless you get to a tool show but at least pick them up and get a feel for them. There's big differences among nailers and if it doesn't feel right in the beginning, its doubtful it will get any better down the road. Guess I'd add I'm not a fan of generic nails and try to stick with brand names ..... ymmv.

Scott T Smith
05-27-2009, 5:04 PM
From a "weight" perspective, Porter Cable's FR 350MAG (magnesium housing) weighs 7.4 lbs, and can shoot up to a 3-1/2" .162 diameter plastic collated round head nail.

Not a bad compromise. Hitachi and others have a more "industrial" reputation, but I have no complaints with my PC (as well as my Hitachi) framing nailers.

thomas struth
05-27-2009, 5:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear the flying plastic on these guns is no big deal.

One other question. When a tool has a 3/8 NPT connector, does that mean I need to use 3/8 hose? Makes sense, but I've got all 1/4" stuff now...

Larry Edgerton
05-27-2009, 6:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear the flying plastic on these guns is no big deal.

One other question. When a tool has a 3/8 NPT connector, does that mean I need to use 3/8 hose? Makes sense, but I've got all 1/4" stuff now...

I use 1/4 on everything because two hose sizes are a pain, and I am just too damn old to be dragging heavy hose with me. Remember that if you are working ten feet in the air you are carrying the gun, and the ten feet of hose. I use a lightweight lead in hose, Flexeel I think, and a heavier hose back to the compressor. The only thing 3/8 does better is allow you to shoot nails slightly faster. I don't see the need myself.

thomas struth
07-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Hi All,

Just thought I'd follow up and report my experience.

I ended up going with a Milwaukee 7100-20 round head framing nailer. I got to use it for the first time today putting up some siding (shooting through 19/32" thick panels and into 2x4s). I am very pleased. It took just 3 or 4 nails shot into test pieces to get the tool free depth adjustment dialed in. From there it was smooth sailing. No jams, no misfires. My small 6 gallon PC pancake compressor drives it just fine. I never counted, but it seemed to fuel about 10 nails before kicking back on. The only thing that caught me off guard is that with less than 5 so nails in the clip it stops firing as a warning so you don't shoot blanks.

It is quite lightweight as far as these go (7.5 lbs). A lot of the housing is plastic but it seems very rugged and sturdy. No creaking here. It uses 22 degree nails. I started with a box of B&N from Amazon where I bought the nailer. The kickback seems reasonable given what it's doing (although the only thing I have to compare to is my brad nailer!).

As you all suggested my worries about getting pelted with plastic were overblown. What I didn't expect, though, was that plastic bits will get caught under the nail head. I can wipe most off, but it looks like a few got stuck. I'll probably leave them, though I could possibly pick them out with a needle nose pliers. Maybe it's the B&N nails. I've only got 400 to go... :)

The Milwaukee wasn't my first choice. I had settled on the Hitachi NR90AE which people rave about. But unfortunately, 2 hours before I clicked 'buy' the price went up about $50 to nearly $270. This got me looking again and I found the Milwaukee for $208, cheaper than the old Hitachi price.

Thanks again for all the help.

tom

Jeremy Brant
07-01-2009, 7:20 AM
I've got the same milwaukee. I've had mine about a year now and haven't had any problems at all. I had the same porter cable compressor, but it just bit the dust recently and I haven't tried rebuilding yet (it gave me an excuse to buy a 60 gal vertical compressor). It hasn't seen very heavy use yet, but I've done a couple projects (reframed a bathroom closet, built some shelving, etc). No jams and the depth of drive is easy to adjust for the hardness of wood and length of nail being driven. It's a little lighter than a Paslode I've used before, and for my level of use I couldn't see paying that much more for a commercial unit.

Bob Genovesi
07-01-2009, 7:45 AM
I don't have the weight on hand but I have the Senco FramePro 601. This is a great nailer and I have had zero issues with it. I've shot 2 3/8 up to 3 1/3 nails and never had to make any adjustments at all.

This nailer is designated as a "clip-head" design but is capable of shooting full round heads as well. Manufactures are making full head that is slightly offset from center that feed and function without issue.

Highly recommended!!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Senco-601-400.jpg

thomas struth
07-03-2009, 3:57 AM
I've got the same milwaukee. I've had mine about a year now and haven't had any problems at all.

Jeremy, have you noticed this same issue I have with bits of plastic getting caught under the nail heads? I'm wondering if it's my particular nails (B&N) or not.

Jeremy Brant
07-03-2009, 8:52 AM
Jeremy, have you noticed this same issue I have with bits of plastic getting caught under the nail heads? I'm wondering if it's my particular nails (B&N) or not.

I've only bought one box from Lowe's, I believe they are grip-rite brand. I just looked at the shelving I had done and there are some bits of plastic on a couple of them, but certainly not the majority. I can't say I ever paid attention to it as it's framing and not finish work, and I am quite sure that any little bits of plastic will not affect the 3 1/4" nail holding it in place. The only other framer I used was a paslode with paper collated nails, but I suspect any of the plastic collated will do the same thing by the nature of the way the plastic holds them together.

Rick Metcalf
07-03-2009, 2:21 PM
I have the PC round head nailer and use the griptite plastic coated nails from the borg. Use it with the PC pancake compressor. For homeowner type farming work it has worked great.