PDA

View Full Version : Table saw vibration - too much or "good enough"?

Niels J. Larsen
05-27-2009, 3:15 AM
I've recently aquired a Wadkin 10" A.G.S. table saw and I've given it an overhaul:

- New arbor bearings
- The arbor spindle has been mounted in a lathe, so the arbor flange could be milled to remove any runout.
- New drivebelts (3x 23"x3/8 belts)

The saw runs well without any noise and the blade runs true, however I can feel what I consider to be too much vibration if I place my hand on the extension tables (both right and left). If the miter gauge is laying on one of the extension tables it rattles due to the vibration.
It is also evident in the main table but not as much. I'm sure this is caused by the lack of support on one side of the extension tables.

How much vibration is ok and how much vibration is too much?

Also - what is causing the vibration?

I suspect it's the seams in the drivebelts that are causing this, but I have no idea how I could avoid or minimize it

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!
Niels

Jason Hallowell
05-27-2009, 3:37 AM
I recently put a link style belt (power twist) on my Dad's old tablesaw, and it reduced the vibration by leaps and bounds. I was skeptical at first, but it impressed me so much that I plan on getting one for my bandsaw. Not sure what's acceptable for your saw, or what's causing the vibration, but a link style belt may provide some help.

Niels J. Larsen
05-27-2009, 4:02 AM
I recently put a link style belt (power twist) on my Dad's old tablesaw, and it reduced the vibration by leaps and bounds. I was skeptical at first, but it impressed me so much that I plan on getting one for my bandsaw. Not sure what's acceptable for your saw, or what's causing the vibration, but a link style belt may provide some help.

I don't know about this style of belt. Can you direct me to your source?

Jason Hallowell
05-27-2009, 4:16 AM
I don't know about this style of belt. Can you direct me to your source?

I used the power twist by fenner drives, but there are other brands of link style belts as well.
http://www.fennerdrives.com/high_performance_composite_vbelts/powertwist_home.asp

scott spencer
05-27-2009, 6:34 AM
Most vibration is caused by the belts, pulleys, pulley alignment, motor shaft, blade, arbor flange, or arbor shaft. Even though the belts are new, they could still be the culprit. Try removing one belt at a time to isolate which one. You may also try rotating the belts to offset any individual contributions. If none is the cause, check the motor shaft, pulleys, etc.