PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies You Have Tools For But Have Never Taken Up

Stephen Tashiro
05-27-2009, 2:38 AM
The point of buying tools is possession, not use. I firmly believe this. I was trying examine my performance by thinking of hobbies that I have tools for but have never taken up. I'm embarrassed to say that I've come up empty handed. Of course almost everyone has a wood burning set somewhere in a closet. But I'm not sure I even have one of those.

I'm not talking about rotozips and other unused tools that are meant for a hobby that you do pursue. I'm not talking about unused tools for a hobby that you once pursued and gave up. I'm talking about the honorable possession of tools intended to do things that you've never done at all. I suppose we have to count gifts from well meaning relatives who had ideas about things you ought to be doing.

Lee Mitchell
05-27-2009, 7:19 AM
Bottle cutters (2 styles), glass cutters, glass paints, how to books. Never got around to using them. They are still in my "one day, I'll" stash.

Modeling clay (bake to harden) for drawer knobs, flower drying supplies, and clock kits are a few more that come to mind.

FWIW, Right now, I don't consider them to be bad investments. Won't do that until either they're too old to use or I'm too old to use them. :)

Recent example. I've had a small scroll saw since the 70's. Bought a DeWalt a couple of years ago. For the most part, they just took up space. Now, I enjoy spending time in the shop making sawdust as I'm incorporating scroll work in some of my other projects. An upcoming project will be using a glass insert. Now where did I put that cutter?

Lee in NC

Mitchell Andrus
05-27-2009, 7:44 AM
Glass blowing. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Not as easy as putting a saddle on an angry lion.

Doug Shepard
05-27-2009, 7:59 AM
I've got 3-4 special tools for working on bicycles that have never seen use. At one time I wanted to get into picking up garage sale bikes, fixing them up and reselling for a small profit.

Mike Sheppard
05-27-2009, 8:34 AM
At one time about 20 years ago I bought a ton of tools and books for this. I did do it for a few years got good enough to make wallets, purses and belts. That stuff is around here some where.
Mike