PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tension crank froze up

Danny Hellyar
05-27-2009, 2:27 AM
When I went to release the tension on my Delta 14" bandsaw the crank froze up after a few turns. I can't move it in either direction. I'm thinking maybe the tensoning mechanism may have broke or bent, perhaps from age or overtightening. Can any one offer any advise here?

Myk Rian
05-27-2009, 7:31 AM
Can you get the blade off? If so, take the upper wheel off, remove the cover bolts, and get the tension adjuster off the saw. Work on it on a bench for easy access. I had a saw strip the threads. Might have to redo the threads or start buying a couple parts.

Paul Steiner
05-27-2009, 7:57 AM
Before you start tearing things apart. Try PB Blaster Catalyst spray. It has helped me numerous times loosen frozen parts. If it does not work for your bandsaw you will find 10 other places to use it.
Try use a pry bar against the wheel and tensioner to see if you can get any movement. I would try and get the blade off if it is not too expensive I would cut it.

Cliff Polubinsky
05-27-2009, 8:39 AM
Danny,

I had the same thing happen on my Grizzly bandsaw and it turned out to be the nut at the bottom of the tensioning bolt had frozen. See if you can turn that before a major dissassembly of your saw.

Cliff

Bruce Wrenn
05-27-2009, 11:02 PM
On my older (American made) Delta band saws, the tension rod if 3/8-16 thread. Lowes stocks the square nut in their Hillman assortment. Two in a package for about a buck. As I build my on tension devices, I use these nuts, and a piece of 3/8" rod and a handwheel from ENCO (use-enco.com)

Danny Hellyar
05-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks Bruce and all for the advise. I did get the rod out as it had cross threaded from wear. I had to cut it out with a keyhole hacksaw. I had already though about making my own set up as I, like you, am very much inclined to make my own stuff, as it's usually better and less expensive. I have ordered from Enco in the past so I'll check them out. I know that Grizzly also sells some crank handles, but I've discovered that If Enco has it , it's usually a little less expensive than Grizzly. Someone on another website suggested that I try MacMaster Carr, but their prices always were always higher than anyone else. Anyways thanks again!
Danny

Julian Nicks
05-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I had the same problem with my rigid bandsaw a while back. I bought the carter atlas thread replacement rod with racheting handle, nut and tension spring. I am glad I did since it now tensions so much smoother and easier with the atlas threads.

Roger Newby
05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Same problem with my Jet and I used a brass nut.
Roger

Bruce Wrenn
05-30-2009, 9:53 PM
Same problem with my Jet and I used a brass nut.
RogerInstead of grease, use "anti-seaze" on the threads. Most auto parts stores have a small package for about a buck, usually located near the cash registers.