PDA

View Full Version : Mortices made with bench chisel

lowell holmes
05-26-2009, 10:53 PM
The Stickley Plant Stand was featured by Chris Schwarz in the Winter 2008 issue of Woodworking Magazine. It was brutal project for me. Getting the joints to line up on the sides with the tusks gave me a fit.
The through mortices and the tapered mortices were made using a 5/8" LN bench chisel. I have mortice chisels in smaller sizes, but nothing this big. Recent threads have dealt with where to buy larger mortice chisels. My point is you don't need them.

harry strasil
05-27-2009, 11:47 PM
My point is you don't need them.

True, one pointer especially when using older antique chisels, set your mortise gauge points using the old chisel as some chisels are not quite a true width.

Tom Henderson2
05-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Looks nice Lowell. You were obviously very successful getting everything to line up in the final product!

I have been eyeing that project as a good one for me; practice (e.g. 20+ M&T joints) makes for improvement....

-TH

lowell holmes
05-28-2009, 6:17 AM
I always set the mortice gage to the chisel I'm using.:)

lowell holmes
05-28-2009, 9:36 AM
I did the project as a skill builder. I don't see many Stickley designs that appeal to me. The proportions on this one do appeal to me and I am thinking of bulding a simple table using these features leaving the top rails and leg horns off. I would put a 5/4 top on it, possibly with the legs being flush to the top utilizing through tenons.