PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly shipping experance.

Dave Lehnert
05-26-2009, 9:36 PM
I have ordered a lot of tools and things from Grizzly but were all shipped UPS.
About to pull the tiger on something larger. Shipped UPS freight.
Have a few questions about your experience.

- I will have it shipped to work so I may unload with the fork lift. Did you experience any problems having a tool shipped to another address other than your home?

- When the truck arrived and you saw damage on you equipment. How did you handle it? call Grizzly right away? Refused shipment? Made note on bill and received it anyway?
Did you uncreate it before signing the bill? They way we receive at work we note any damage to the box then inspect at a later time. Call with any problems later in the day.

- How quick did you receive your tool after the order was placed? Days? Weeks?? (Grizzly has tool in stock) I live in Cincinnati.

Anything else you can add to your experience.
q

Jason White
05-26-2009, 9:48 PM
4 days after I placed the order, UPS delivered my Grizzly cabinet saw right to my house, lowered it down to the street, and even pushed it down the driveway (in the snow) and set it right in front of the garage door.

No damage, no fuss, and no muss. Doesn't get much better than that!
;)

I have ordered a lot of tools and things from Grizzly but were all shipped UPS.
About to pull the tiger on something larger. Shipped UPS freight.
Have a few questions about your experience.

- I will have it shipped to work so I may unload with the fork lift. Did you experience any problems having a tool shipped to another address other than your home?

- When the truck arrived and you saw damage on you equipment. How did you handle it? call Grizzly right away? Refused shipment? Made note on bill and received it anyway?
Did you uncreate it before signing the bill? They way we receive at work we note any damage to the box then inspect at a later time. Call with any problems later in the day.

- How quick did you receive your tool after the order was placed? Days? Weeks?? (Grizzly has tool in stock) I live in Cincinnati.

Anything else you can add to your experience.
q

glenn bradley
05-26-2009, 9:53 PM
- Did you experience any problems having a tool shipped to another address other than your home?

Haven't done it. Can't comment.

- When the truck arrived and you saw damage on you equipment. How did you handle it?

On the one shipment that had damage I made the driver aware that I might still accept the delivery but I wanted to inspect it to some degree on the truck. FedEx Freight had no problem with this. Notice a couple crate failures but nothing dramatic; accepted shipment but noted damage, date and time on the paperwork above where I signed.

- Did you uncreate it before signing the bill? They way we receive at work we note any damage to the box then inspect at a later time. Call with any problems later in the day.

If you have to do this I would feel OK with it. I say this due to my experience with Grizzly. They respond quickly to problems. On a scratched but totally servicable switchbox I asked to have replaced, they emailed me three times and called me twice over about 5 days while it was in transit and once it arrived to be sure I got what I was after and was happy.

My cyclone was ordered Thursday afternoon, shipped out of Washington state and showed up Tuesday at noon in SoCal around 1100 miles away. Again, this was FedEx Freight but I asked to be called when they were about a half hour away and that is just what they did. I paid $25 for liftgate service and the guy hauled ALL the boxes into the garage for me and I had to arm wrestle him to get him to take a tip.

Steve Kohn
05-26-2009, 10:38 PM
I have had 3 Grizzly tools delivered to the house. A 19 inch bandsaw, a wide belt sander, and a 12 in jointer.

On every machine I opted to have them liftgate delivered to the house (in the western suburbs of Chicago). I think liftgate service is only $35 thru Grizzly. Heck of a bargain. All of my machines were shipped from Missouri and were ready for delivery in 2 or 3 days from phoning or emailing the order.

All 3 machines were unloaded at the street, and the driver used his pallet jack to put them where I wanted the machine in the garage. All the drivers received a $20 tip.

Only one crate had damage. It was the jointer. One end was missing off the crate. I noted it on the bill of lading and the driver got very concerned. He called his dispatcher a couple of times, wanted to help me uncrate the jointer and check for damage, etc. Finally I sent him off since I had to get back to work.

Long story short the jointer was fine. I still had both Grizzly and the trucking company insurance carrier call me about my "claim".

I wouldn't hesitate to have the machine delivered to my house again. It sure beats figuring out how to get a 1000 lb. machine from the dock at work and onto my garage floor.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2009, 10:56 PM
I just received my first Grizzly tools a few weeks ago. My disk/oscillating spindle sander showed up with a minor hole in the box. The driver helped me remove the top to the box that was strapped to a pallet. No damage.

I ordered it and got it 4 or 5 days later.

Scott T Smith
05-26-2009, 11:13 PM
My eperience has been similar to others. Most of my Grizz equipment was picked up by me at one of their warehouses. What I had shipped, in some instances, arrived with minor cosmetic damage. I decided to accept it, and had the damage noted on the paperwork by the driver.

I have loaders with forks and live on a commercial farm, so I don't opt for the liftgate expense.

There has only been one instance of a delivery that I refused due to damage (non Grizzly), it was a fiberglass tractor top that was severely cracked. No problems on having the manufacture ship out a replacement.

Andrew Joiner
05-27-2009, 12:56 AM
My 21" bandsaw came 3 days after I ordered. I paid $25 for lift gate. My saw was rolled into my shop and set in place by the truck driver. I think I noted a rip in the plastic cover I could see thru the crate. I could see no obvious damage thru the clear plastic cover. Grizzly says to write any damage, even rips in the cover on the receipt, so better safe than sorry.

The saw arrived in perfect condition. The delivery took maybe 10 minutes and was flawless.

The quality of the saw is good. All of the components of the saw look and feel "heavy duty". So much so that I'm slightly disappointed with the plastic handwheels. A saw of this quality deserves better handwheels.

John Keeton
05-27-2009, 6:25 AM
Dave, I have had all four of my stationary Grizz tools delivered to a different location than my home. My drive is gravel, up hill, and 1/4 mile long. There is no where to turn around a large freight truck, so I had no options.

They all arrived within just a few days of ordering. I paid for the liftgate service, and had them set the tools (one delivered at a time) in the back of my pickup.

At home, I backed up to my building, and used a shop crane to unload each one on to a shop dolly so I could roll it in to the shop portion of the building.

I don't recall anything more than minor damage to the crating, although on my bandsaw, about 3 weeks later I noticed a dent in the top of the upper wheel cover. Grizzly promptly replaced it.

Barry Rowland
05-27-2009, 7:10 AM
5 different pieces from grizz including one of their pain booths. No problems getting them in the garage with the lift service feature.

Some of the cardboard boxing had been damaged on 3 of the pieces. No damage to the inside.

Jim Kountz
05-27-2009, 8:11 AM
I have bought several large items from them. Always fast, within a week and I had it shipped to my friends trucking company just a couple of miles from my house. Large area to turn around and a forklift although I didnt need one. We just pushed the bandsaw and jointer right off his truck onto my pickup. The boxes/crates looked a little ragged but held up and did their job well as nothing was damaged. Considering the journey they made I thought all in all everything was excellent.

Ed Labadie
05-27-2009, 9:37 AM
IMO, the carrier makes or breaks a tool buying experience. While Grizz does an excellent job of handling UPS freights' screw-ups, any carrier can muck up your new tool.

1st time, it was still Overnite express...one smashed Grizz drill press. Grizz sent new parts with no problems.

2nd time, ABF freight. I picked up my shaper at the terminal, perfect shape! Good experience.

3rd time, UPS freight, no problems, my Dust Gorilla arrived several hours late, but unscathed.
In this case the driver tried to call me and tell me he was behind, stoopit me had given them my work phone instead of my cell number.

Ed

Byron Trantham
05-27-2009, 1:13 PM
I bought their 18" open ended sander and it arrived with no damage. The freight carrier (don't remember the company) was a big help. I needed to get it behind the house close to my walkout and wanted to use my truck to get it there. He put it on the gate, I backed up my truck and we pushed it onto my truck. No muss to fuss. BTW that sucker weighs about 350 lbs! We (my friends and I, not the carrier) had a dickens of time getting down those stairs! :rolleyes:

Lee Mitchell
05-27-2009, 3:30 PM
First order with them was a tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, and a planer, plus some small stuff. Picked the boxes up at the terminal, about 25 miles away. When we got home, unboxed the larger items while they were still in the pickup. That made it easier, especially for the cabinet saw to get it into the shop.

Since then, I've received items by freight line, UPS, and FedX at the house. Knock on wood, other than a few scrapes on the boxes, all merchandise has arrived OK, in good working order.

Oh, with the initial order, I received a free wheelbarrow. There was a problem with the wheel. I called Grizzly and they promply sent out another one. Can't beat that, even standing behind free merchandise.

So far, all of my dealing with them since about 2001 have been fine.

Lee in NC

James Ensley
05-27-2009, 5:17 PM
I placed an order for a G0691 on Saturday afternoon to be shipped to my work location. It arrived on Thursday morning by UPS Freight in excellent condition.

Russ Massery
05-27-2009, 7:35 PM
All of my equipment from Grizzly was delivered to work.(5 in all) Never had a problem any issues by doing so. Other than the guys in the shipping department wanting to know what was in the box.

Jacob Mac
05-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I have had three deliveries from Grizzly, and in two different locals. I got liftgate everytime, and delivery was a breeze. Couldn't be easier.

Now getting help when my bandsaw wasn't working properly was a joke, but I don't want to hijack your thread.

Dave Lehnert
05-28-2009, 11:49 AM
I have had three deliveries from Grizzly, and in two different locals. I got liftgate everytime, and delivery was a breeze. Couldn't be easier.

Now getting help when my bandsaw wasn't working properly was a joke, but I don't want to hijack your thread.

Go ahead and hijack if you will.

BOB OLINGER
05-28-2009, 4:30 PM
I've ordered 2 pieces of equipment from Grizzly in the last 6 months and both delivered to my place of work instead of home. In my case, the trucking company was instructed to call my cell phone to make delivery arrangements. When he did, I just ask them to deliver to work instead of home and told them that would me much easier. They were very willing to do that. On arrival, just had the truck back up to my pickup and we cross loaded the equipment. I signed the bill of lading and we were done. Worked great. As long as the trucker gets your identification that you are the consignee and your signature upon delivery, they should cooperate.

Scott Haddix
05-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I ordered the 19" Grizzly bandsaw and did not pay for liftgate service.

However, the driver not only brought the bandsaw into my garage, he also asked if I needed help uncrating it, helped me do so, and took the crate materials with him so I didn't have to deal with them.

The crate and machine were in great order, so I didn't worry about keeping the crate, which we pretty well destroyed anyway during the uncrating process.

It was my second Grizzly machine I've had delivered and both times they were very helpful. I couldn't be happier with their delivery service.

Richard M. Wolfe
05-29-2009, 4:57 PM
I ordered a Grizzly 8" spiral cutterhead jointer yesterday. I'll try to remember to post anything "postable". This isn't just a Grizzly shipping experience....it could be anything heavy. A couple years ago I had a Grizzly 20" planer delivered and the carrier was Saia. I was very satisfied with the handling; the dirver helped unload it and waited around till it was uncrated to see if there was anything to note.

Jay Jolliffe
05-29-2009, 5:24 PM
I ordered a bandsaw model 513x2 from Grizzly a year ago December. Would not deliver to my house as I live on an island which is understandable. Shipping company brought it over & packing looked ok. I uncreated it & found out that the top & bottom door was pushed it so the nuts on the wheels put a dent in the doors. Checked it out & everything else was ok. Called them & had new doors in about a week.That's ok. Had to pay shipping that wasn't ok. I asked if all the labeling will be on the doors & they said yes. No labeling (stickers)took over 1 year to get all the stickers to put back on the doors. Keep telling me they were back ordered.Other than that the saw works ok. Only probelm I have is tracking a 1/4" blade. All the others 1/2 & 3/4 track in the middle at the tension thier suppose to be. The 1/4 rides on the edge of the wheels & not in the middle. Don't know why asked here & no one answered so I guess I won't use the 1/4" blade untill I figure it out. I would buy again from Grizzly.....

Dave Lehnert
05-29-2009, 6:19 PM
I ordered a bandsaw model 513x2 from Grizzly a year ago December. Would not deliver to my house as I live on an island which is understandable. Shipping company brought it over & packing looked ok. I uncreated it & found out that the top & bottom door was pushed it so the nuts on the wheels put a dent in the doors. Checked it out & everything else was ok. Called them & had new doors in about a week.That's ok. Had to pay shipping that wasn't ok. I asked if all the labeling will be on the doors & they said yes. No labeling (stickers)took over 1 year to get all the stickers to put back on the doors. Keep telling me they were back ordered.Other than that the saw works ok. Only probelm I have is tracking a 1/4" blade. All the others 1/2 & 3/4 track in the middle at the tension thier suppose to be. The 1/4 rides on the edge of the wheels & not in the middle. Don't know why asked here & no one answered so I guess I won't use the 1/4" blade untill I figure it out. I would buy again from Grizzly.....

You had to pay shipping on the replacement parts???????

Jay Jolliffe
05-29-2009, 9:23 PM
I had to pay from the terminal where they shipped to.

Richard M. Wolfe
06-01-2009, 11:40 PM
OK, guess I will bump this up. Got the new jointer today. Not as good an experience as with the planer. Truck got to the shop and....no liftgate. Requested a liftgate but someone along the line was asleep at the wheel. Driver apologized and said he would take it back - that until he was on the way he didn't know about the liftgate. We managed to get it off the truck OK with a Bobcat. Not the most stable of operations but got it down OK. Same trucking company as before - Saia.

There were two boxes. The one with the base had a couple smashed corners. Got it apart and found no damage to the base, though. But there was a slightly sprung top with a bolt sideways. Turns out the company shipped the motor bolted to the cabinet with two bolts and you take it off and mount it on the bracket made for it. One of the bolts had come loose and the motor was free to pull down on the cabinet at only one point so sprung it a bit. Why, I couldn't say.

The box with the table and fence was also the worse for wear. The table had two bolts to secure it and one had come loose. Why, I couldn't say - number 2. The pulley had swung out and whacked the box pretty good.

The driver noted everything on the shipping papers and gave a number to be reimbursed for no liftgate where one was paid for and didn't happen. We got the jointer out of the shipping and put together and everything fired up OK and runs OK. As a matter of fact we have already jointed some pecan for a cabinet job.

I can't fault the driver as he was very cooperative about helping and noting everything. Also what we did was have a camera at hand and photographed everything that might be a problem down the line as well as noting everything in writing. But so far so good. Despite Grizzly's poor packing (I am clueless as to how the bolts came loose and intend to call them about it) the machine seems to have come through OK.

Lance Norris
06-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I have 3 large Griz tools and I picked them up at the local freight terminal(25 miles away). That way I could control delivery times. I needed help getting 2 of these into my shop, and thus could schedule my friends to help in the evenings. No issues with damage and all were UPS/Overnight Freight. I think the wait time from order to delivery was never more than 5 business days to NE Ohio.