PDA

View Full Version : I have rotten luck...

Leigh Costello
05-26-2009, 8:05 PM
Okay, this is sort of a rant about cards dealt in life and a what would you do thread. Several weeks ago, while doing physical therapy which I have done for 42 years now, I sprained my neck because I sneezed. OUCH! Went to my orthopod and got X-rays etc. My symptoms included and still include, stingers down both legs, when I least expect them-sitting walking whatever. Overall neck and shoulder pain (I am not taking pain meds, just Voltaren topical stuff) and crabby because I am not happy.

While at my day job, I went to check the mail. Stinger right down my legs, nearly fell in traffic. Sheesh! Called orthopod. No surgery to fix (I know this but he seems to want to bash me with facts) said problem. He said I am headed down a path of future pain and restrictions. Acupunture is not an option for me - yet. Sigh....

So do I proceed with day job and cut back on dream job-business owner by downsizing to profitable hobby or what!?! Anyway, just a little down now....I need to turn something but I can't stand that long or sit on a stool....man oh man...

Jim Kountz
05-26-2009, 8:42 PM
Wow Leigh sounds like you had a bad day to say the least. Hope you get back on your feet soon!!
As far as what to do thats something you're going to have to do some soul searching on. Only you know what you can do and what you cant. Which one will give you the better quality of life overall, make YOU the happiest??

Jon Knauft
05-26-2009, 9:55 PM
Leigh, I would get a second opinion if you haven't already. Life is too short to be in pain all the time.

-Jon

Andy Bardowell
05-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Leigh, I would get a second opinion if you haven't already. Life is too short to be in pain all the time.

-Jon

I'm no doctor but Jon may be right Leigh that sounds worse than a sprain, not meant to scare you but if misdiagnosed you may be getting the wrong treatment and hence no relief.

David G Baker
05-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Don't know how you feel about chiropractors, at one time I thought they were all quacks until my lower back went out. As a last resort I found a local chiropractor that x-rayed the heck out of me and has been keeping me functional for the past 3 years. I go every two weeks and my insurance covers most of the bill. Some injuries are beyond chiropractors abilities to fix or help so if you do try the chiropractic route get plenty of references before trusting one with your problems.
I agree with getting the second opinion.

Steve Schlumpf
05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
I have to agree with Dave on this one. If you were fine before you sneezed - then I would have to think you threw something out of alignment in your neck or back. If it were me - I would go have it checked out! Best of luck with this! I hope they can figure something out real soon to help get you pain free!

Peter Luch
05-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Without knowing your overall condition and because you said you have had phys therapy for 42 years it is hard to recommend much.

What I do know is this.

chiropractors are great if you get a good one. I think my guy recommends someone from the Douglas school. Many different types of chiropractors out there right now.

If your back is a problem then consider getting an inversion table.
OK, OK before you write it off a couple of things.

1) You do NOT have to go completely upside down for it to do you good. Even a small incline will help and you go at your own pace.

2) It does not harm you in any way!! All it does is streach out your spine and you control how much by how far over you want to go. Just a little or all the way.

I worked 20+ years in heavy construction and most of the heavy was what I had to lift. My lower back was getting REAL BAD in the last few years. At least every 2 weeks at the chiropractor to get it adjusted and keep out of trouble.
Now I have not seen the chiropractor for almost an entire year!!!!
Last Wed I was moving some concrete bags (94lbs) and I could feel my back go out. Went right up and hung upside down for about 1-1/2 minutes, got off streached some and never felt it again!!!

For my upper back I have to spend more time on it and more times per day but it still helps.
My wife has been suffering from sciatica for over 10 years. The chiropractor helped but it never totally got rid of the problem.

I HAVE NOT HEARD A WORD OUT OF HER for almost a full year. 2 weeks after we got the inversion table it stopped hurting her and she has not felt it again as long as she goes once per week on the table.

Find a neighbor who has one and test it out, they will tell you all the same things I have.

Hope you can find some sort of relief for your pain!!! Good luck!!

Aloha, Pete

Charles Robertson
05-27-2009, 9:10 AM
Leigh, I'm with Peter on this one. I've been using the Teeter Hang-up for about 8 years, any where from 30 seconds to several minutes per. Some people laughed at me when I started using it. I just like being pain free. I don't try to sell them on it any more. Like Peter, I worked construction all my life. Am still still working it. Try it, research it, don't be afraid to get a good one. It's like getting a good tool. Good luck,-- Charles

Belinda Barfield
05-27-2009, 9:35 AM
Leigh, I'm so sorry to hear this. You are always such a positive, up beat person that it must be really painful for you to get so down. I also know that you have battled difficulties for many years now so your tolerance is pretty high. As for the dream job, maybe just scale back a little for now but don't give up. Can you take any time off from your day job? If you've irritated a nerve or something maybe you're overdoing it. I hope this resolves quickly for you. I would suggest a second opinion but I'm guessing you've seen more doctors than you can count. Still, it might not hurt to see one more.

Leigh Costello
05-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Got the results of numerous scans - my head is not on straight.:eek: While this is not news to me, the change in the angle of head to neck to spinal column is significant. So...I asked what to do. Believe me I was surprised when my fave orthopod suggested strength training. I already have an enviable selection of fitness equipment at my disposal. So, one day in and I feel better. Something about using muscles differently, endorphins, and a sense of hope may have done some good.

I am usually pretty stoical after 20+ surgeries to correct birth defects, but I was just so down. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Inversion was highly considered but my physical therapist said after one session and follow-up x-ray to not try that again. So I haven't tried it since. My chiropractor only uses that tapping thingy to adjust me because of my screwy head and neck...and so it goes.

And, drum roll please, my day job just gave me a raise making downsizing just a bit easier to swallow. I have considered training our daughter in our amazing array of personalization options, but she just got a job. woohoo One of my best customers is handicapped. After meeting with her we decided that life just isn't fun all of the time. Hubby has been sooo supportive. He suggested stepping back a month or so, do the custom orders etc and slowly work up our inventory for the holiday season. Sounds good to me.

Sorry for the long post. But, I will feel better soon and with all of your positive thoughts and the Force that is within, I will get by.

Belinda, that reference was for you, I will get by, hey, hey...Now stop discoing and get to work! ;)

Belinda Barfield
05-28-2009, 9:12 AM
Belinda, that reference was for you, I will get by, hey, hey...Now stop discoing and get to work! ;)

Thanks Leigh, now I have that song stuck in my head. :D I jumped up and did the Hustle in honor of your good news. Strength training is addictive, just be careful with that shoulder of yours. :)

Leigh Costello
05-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Belinda,
I knew you would dance! :D And since today was a "light" duty strength training I could only look longingly at the hoowah machines. ;) "hoowah" meaning "holy cow, how do I get off of this thing!" :D Thanks for your kind words and thoughts!

Leigh Costello
01-20-2012, 1:23 AM
Hello everyone! I just thought I would post an update. I am doing okay for the shape I'm in. We have scaled back from doing shows to becoming a wholesale supplier to a few local stores and schools. This has helped me tremendously, physically and mentally. I have begun using Facebook as a show and tell venue. We have also managed to bump along well enough to keep me from going stir-crazy. Physically, I am still looking for a magic cure for arthritis and all the joys that brings. I have avoided surgery for almost 2.5 years now and that makes me happy. Now to get my medical advisers (aka doctors) on board with my plans of no more meds.... Well, that's all for now...except I did have to give up gardening...all that bending over can't be good for anyone! :D

Anthony Whitesell
01-20-2012, 5:46 AM
My father had something similar similar happen. He sneezed while driving in the car. When he jerked forward, the seat belt locked and caught him mid-sneeze causing a pinched nerve in his neck. The swelling was VERY slow to fade and once it did the nerve was able to be worked back in place. Eventually chiropractor and PT was able to resolve it.

I hope you the best.

Rich Engelhardt
01-20-2012, 7:55 AM
I sprained my neck because I sneezed. OUCH!
My ex sister in law sneezed and went lights out :O
The docs said she was gone before she hit the floor.
I guess if you're going to go, that's one of the better ways.

Belinda Barfield
01-20-2012, 9:00 AM
Good to hear from you Leigh. Take up table top gardening. Hoping things improve.

Greg Peterson
01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Leigh - I was going to suggest strength training and a massage therapist. I would not recommend olympic lifts just yet, but free weights (dumbbells and barbells) produce the best results and have the lowest investment in time and money.

Machines (plate loaded machines and Nautilus) by design work an isolated set of muscles. This gives the user a sense of accomplishment because they are really focusing on a specific muscle of limited group of muscles. Then they go to the next machine and work on the next set of muscles. And so on. Most of these machines involve one joint.

Olympic lifts like the dead lift, squat, press (not to be confused with the 'bench' press) and power clean involve the entire body. You can only correctly execute any of these lifts by what the weakest muscles allow. These are multi joint exercises and every muscle gets strengthened in accordance to the degree to which it is required.

Essentially, barbell lifts allow you to build strength in a balanced, useful approach. Machines, because of their isolation nature, create imbalances in the musculature.

You need not lift heavy weights to build strength, especially at first. But, you do need to keep the reps low, the weight high and make sure each work out session you add a little more weight. Always add more weight.

Three sets of five of each lift will build strength. Three sets of ten will build less strength but make the muscles look bigger. Strength = high weight/low reps. Body building = High reps/low weight.

Most people I see at the gym think they are building strength when in fact their routines are more in line with body builders. Make no mistake, they are building strength, but they are not building as much functional strength as they are. Especially the ones using the machines.

Good luck.

Leigh Costello
01-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Oh lordy! lordy! That would be one way to go!

Leigh Costello
01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Funny you should suggest table top gardening - that's what I did last summer. I tell ya, having the vine ripened veggies growing very close to the grill sure made some fine bbq's better! I am doing better, Belinda. Busy with everything so that leaves very little time for ppp's. (PersonalPityParties)

Leigh Costello
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, Greg. I have recently acquired a Bowflex from my sister and we have a knock-off total gym type machine and a gazelle (you can do it) and a classic nordic track. I use small free weights from time to time but only 5 lbs. down to 1lb. My nephew the physical therapist and my cousin, the other physical therapist and my niece the hernia research doctor all try to encourage me. I like hearing the advice they share is similar to what other folks are saying as well. When my dr. recommended more drastic meds I drew the line and went back to pt. So far, it hurts sometimes but at least my life won't be ruled by daily dosages. I pray for this phase to last a long, long while.

Phil Thien
01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm glad you're feeling better.

I'm just going to remind everyone to investigate vitamin D:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/01January/Pages/vitamin-d-medical-advice-and-supplements.aspx

Go to http://news.google.com and type in "vitamin D" to research the topic.

Or "vitamin D pain" or "vitamin D arthritis" or "vitamin D heart." Just spend 10-15 minutes reading-up.

Greg Peterson
01-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Leigh,

The principles of weight training are the same for the beginner as they are for the elite trainee. Sometimes advancing the resistance falls into smaller increment than the equipment allows.

When executing a new exercise lift, you will normally experience the ability to quickly advance in large weight increments. Eventually these gains get smaller as you advance towards your genetic potential.

As an example, when starting squats, many people can increase the resistance in ten pound increments for quite a while. Eventually, there comes a time when ten pounds is too large of an increment, so they jump down to five pound increments. And so on, all the way down to the smallest increment possible. After that, the training routine for that particular exercise will need to change, but that is an entirely different matter.

Point being, sometimes you may require smaller weight increments than a pound. You can use micro loading to advance. Just keep advancing.