PDA

View Full Version : Eeny Meeny Miny Moe . . .

Kevin Jaynes
05-26-2009, 8:02 PM
Wixey, Beall, HF . . . .

I knocked my Wixey off the table saw and it is kaput. I googled digital angle finders and discovered the Beall, and also the Harbor Freight offering.

They are all within a few dollars of each other; Hartville has both the Wixey and the Beall for $32 and HF sells theirs for $28. There may also be others available but mainly I wanted to see who likes what

I noticed the HF has a function the other two do not - it has a Hold function. That wouldn't be critical to me though I am more concerned with accuracy. I'm leaning toward the Beall. Any feedback?

Dave Lehnert
05-26-2009, 9:20 PM
I looked at the Harbor Freight some time back. I did not purchase it because it used a bunch of button battery's. Check to see if that holds true today.

glenn bradley
05-26-2009, 9:59 PM
Did you email Wixey and tell them about it (tell the you're a Creeker). They have "fixed" stuff for me that they really shouldn't have. I have a Wixey and a Beall. I use the Wixey at the jointer as one decimal place is fine for me there. The two decimal positions on the Beall allow me to get closer (only in my mind maybe) when adjusting angles on the tablesaw.

The Beall is larger and heavier, uses a 9volt battery and has magnets on each side. The Wixey is smaller, fits into places the Beall won't, takes a pancake battery and has magnets on the bottom. I enjoy having both but would probably keep the Wixey if I had to give one up.

P.s. I had to have my Beall replaced as it developed a behavior of being off greater and greater amounts as you approached 45*. By the time you got to 45* is was just shy of 46*. Lee Valley did the replacement for me in record time as usual. The new one has been fine but I have not had it as long as the one that failed.