PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Acrylic

Bob Kline
05-26-2009, 6:32 PM
I have a 25W Epilog Mini and might have a need to cut 1/2" acrylic. I ran some tests and determined that it just makes it at 100% power and 1% speed in one pass or 100% power and 2% speed in two passes. From the standpoint of machine and lamp wear and tear, is one better than the other. Also, what wattage machine would I need to cut 1/2" acrylic in one pass at 100% power and 25% speed?
Thanks

Scott Shepherd
05-26-2009, 6:37 PM
Don't know the watts required for 25% speed, but it would be huge. I'm at 45W and I cut 1/2" fairly often. I've put acrylic blocks under it to get it off the table and it cuts about 1/4" down into the blocks when it hits one of those.

It's a slow process with 45W as well. What are you cutting? Letters? Logos? If so, there are easy ways to get them made reasonably priced.

Gary Hair
05-26-2009, 8:02 PM
From the standpoint of machine and lamp wear and tear, is one better than the other.

The tubes in our machines will last longer if they are used regularly, so I don't think either setting you mentioned will be better than the other. They are both slow enough that the mechanical wear and tear will be minimal as well. Go for it! As mentioned, if you have lots to cut, there are other ways that will be faster and more efficient. If your laser is busy enough without this job I would consider outsourcing to someone with a cnc router or a waterjet, or even a higher powered laser. But, if you have the time to run it without impacting other jobs, it doesn't make sense to pay someone else just because it's faster.

Gary

Michael Simpson Virgina
05-26-2009, 8:09 PM
I would calculate about 120Watts or better at 25% speed on 1/2 material. I have a very hot tube ( I use 60Watt settings) on mine the best I can do is 8% Speed. You have to focust about 1/2 into the material. This is with a 2.0 lens. I have not tried it with my 4.0 lens yet.

James Stokes
05-26-2009, 8:11 PM
A 125 watt Epilog laser would probably cut 1/2 inch at 25 percent speed. My 100 watt will cut it at 18 percent speed.

Joe Pelonio
05-26-2009, 9:40 PM
It's not going to wear out the tube, but going that slow requires that you keep a close eye on it at all times, it's far more likely to start a fire.

I would not even try 1/2" on my 45 watt, 3/8" is the most I go and that takes speed 3.