PDA

View Full Version : Template for shop-made push stick?

Jason White
05-26-2009, 6:14 PM
Anybody know of a pattern or template online for making a push stick out of 3/4" stock? I'm partial to the "shoe"-shaped variety.

Jason

Don L Johnson
05-26-2009, 6:25 PM
Pull up a SawStop manual. In the back of the manual is a template. Print it out and adhere it to 1/2" ply, or what ever, and cut it out. I "built" one and it is very comfortable. Hope this helps.

Bill Huber
05-26-2009, 7:12 PM
I have bought a bunch of different push devices and when I got this one a few months ago that was it. Now I have made a template from it and will just make my own with this one gets to cut up to use.

It is the best one I have found, it put good down pressure on the wood and is balanced in the hand to use. It also has a open center so you can take it right over a blade for cutting stuff less then 1 inch wide.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11073&filter=push%20stick

Myk Rian
05-26-2009, 9:46 PM
The best pushers I have are copies of handsaw handles. I make them out of 3/4" MDF. Just draw the outline of the handle on the MDF and cut it out.

phil harold
05-27-2009, 1:51 AM
The best pushers I have are copies of handsaw handles. I make them out of 3/4" MDF. Just draw the outline of the handle on the MDF and cut it out.

I just made one today

I took onw of my favourite hand saws held it in a comfortable position next to the table saw and then traced mine on to some 3/4 ply

next ones I may use something better than c/d grade ply

yours look better than mine!

Nick Abbott
05-27-2009, 1:54 AM

I like those. Well done.

Jason White
05-27-2009, 5:28 PM
So here's what I came up with (pictures)...

Just took the plastic push-stick that felt the most comfortable and traced it onto a piece of 3/4" plywood. Then I rounded the shape a bit, cut it out with a jigsaw and rounded over the edges with my router.

Came out great!

Jason

Nick Abbott
05-27-2009, 5:42 PM
Looks good Jason. I will soon have to make a couple up for myself.

Bill Huber
05-27-2009, 5:42 PM
So here's what I came up with (pictures)...

Just took the plastic push-stick that felt the most comfortable and traced it onto a piece of 3/4" plywood. Then I rounded the shape a bit, cut it out with a jigsaw and rounded over the edges with my router.

Came out great!

Jason

Jason, if you like that push stick then go get one of these, they have a 10 times better feel. I had one just like yours until I found the others.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=push%20stick (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11073&filter=push%20stick)

glenn bradley
05-27-2009, 6:32 PM
The thing I like about Bill's if that the hand is forward and allows ease of downward as well as forward pressure. I'll try to find a pic of mine but it's the same basic idea. Pushing from behind or from the end of a long stick never felt right to me.

I have a pair of Grr-Rippers that are my do-all push blocks. They do have issues when an overarm hood or a narrow piece with a featherboard are desired. For this situation, a narrow helper is just what the doctor ordered.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-27-2009, 7:55 PM
Anybody know of a pattern or template online for making a push stick out of 3/4" stock? I'm partial to the "shoe"-shaped variety.

Jason

Best one is that hunk of wood I see on the scrap pile right there.
REACH yah this is perfect just like it is.

Paul Ryan
05-27-2009, 8:10 PM
Jason,

Keep a look out for a gripper on sale. I bought one from rockler a few months back for I think it was $39. I wish I would have bought 2. They are really nice and can be used at the router table, the jointer, table saw, and in the bedroom. Ok maybe not the last but they really do work nice. Like you I made a few different types that work nice, but since I bought the gripper that is all I use if it will work.

Bill Huber
05-27-2009, 8:40 PM
Has anyone seen these, they look good.

http://www.tablesawpushstick.com/

Jason White
05-27-2009, 9:14 PM
I could make 50 of them out of plywood for what that thing costs! :eek:

Has anyone seen these, they look good.

http://www.tablesawpushstick.com/

David Eisan
05-27-2009, 9:33 PM
Here is my favorite from an old poster on wreck.norm,

http://www.whipplesargent.com/whipjig5.pdf

David.

Dick Brown
11-08-2012, 12:43 AM
I was in the shop and no project in the works so got a little carried away on the push stick thing. Oh well, my wife says it is hers now so I may never get to use it!! Cut from 3/4 plywood. Was fun, anyway.

Kevin Groenke
11-08-2012, 9:52 PM
We make these by the dozens in different thicknesses on our CNC. Better than a store-bought item since you can cut into it without losing $ (buying 100/yr would get pretty expensive). Easy to modify the depth of the heel for cutting thin stock. Just rip a slot in it for cutting narrow strips.

We call them disposable hands.

IMO a stick-shaped push device like the one illustrated in the sawstop manual are ineffective, borderline dangerous. A shoe-shaped device is much more effective since it can hold stock DOWN and push it forward.

245156 245161

mreza Salav
11-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Here is the one I made that I use for all cuts and it allows me to do very thing rips without my hands getting close to the blade; also works for different thickness:

It's on my older saw but you can build one for most fences; my current one is on a sawstop fence.

Ole Anderson
11-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Here are ones I use:

Bill Huber
11-09-2012, 8:48 AM
Here is the one I made that I use for all cuts and it allows me to do very thing rips without my hands getting close to the blade; also works for different thickness:

It's on my older saw but you can build one for most fences; my current one is on a sawstop fence.

The only problem I see is it looks like you would be asking for a kickback. If you have say a 5" board you are ripping you are pushing it from the side and not in the center or near the blade and the down pressure would not be even and could only be at the end of the board.

Rich Engelhardt
11-09-2012, 10:06 AM
IMO a stick-shaped push device like the one illustrated in the sawstop manual are ineffective, borderline dangerous. A shoe-shaped device is much more effective since it can hold stock DOWN and push it forward.True enough - but - IMHO, the "stick" type look meaner when you draw or paint an open mouth/teeth design (ala Flying Tigers) on them ;).

The pusher type look like a squashed Pac Man thingie...
or some kinda Angry Bird wannabe...
:D

mreza Salav
11-09-2012, 1:52 PM
The only problem I see is it looks like you would be asking for a kickback. If you have say a 5" board you are ripping you are pushing it from the side and not in the center or near the blade and the down pressure would not be even and could only be at the end of the board.

I know what you are saying Bill, but:
- I always keep the board pushed against the fence from left side of the board
- Use a properly aligned riving knife supplied with my saw,
- I push the board with hand at the beginning and use the push stick in the last section of the cut (push stick is on the fence above the board and the board is riding below it and once it passes the push stick and it drops down I push with push stick)

Carl Beckett
11-09-2012, 2:52 PM
I was in the shop and no project in the works so got a little carried away on the push stick thing. Oh well, my wife says it is hers now so I may never get to use it!! Cut from 3/4 plywood. Was fun, anyway.

lol! Indeed you did.

Looks like it belongs in a drafting set next to the french curve.....