PDA

View Full Version : DW625 - Why cant I get bits out?

Doug Shepard
05-26-2009, 6:13 PM
I've got a DW625 that's a couple years old but has so far seen very little use. I've got it set up for use on a Woodrat so that's all it's used for. I have a bear of a time getting router bits out, regardless of whether I have the 1/4" or 1/2" sleeve or bits in. I dont think I'm overtightening when I put the bits in. Snug but not overtight. This is the first router I've had this problem with. I end up having to tap on the shank with a block of wood and hammer and dread bit changes as they seem to take around 20 minutes. My old DW625 and Festool have separate collets and I've never run into this. The 625 uses sleeves. What's the trick?

glenn bradley
05-26-2009, 6:20 PM
So you are initially wrench loosening the collet nut, then unscrewing it until it stops as it engages the auto-release and then you wrench it a second time to loosen it again. After this the bit is still tight? Also discussed here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39305

David DeCristoforo
05-26-2009, 6:20 PM
Well, I think you found the "trick". Many of the "older" routers do not have "self releasing" collets so you have to tap on them to get the bit to come loose. But it's "better" to tap with a small ball peen hammer or a brass head hammer right on one of the facets of the collet nut. A wood block will absorb much of the impact making it that much harder to get the bit to come loose.

Paul Greathouse
05-26-2009, 7:55 PM
Doug

I have the DW624, which is the non-variable speed, non-soft start, version of the 625. Other than that it is the same as the 625 in every way. I use Glenn's method for changing bits and it works every time. I also use the same method on my PC routers.

If your doing the same and still having problems then tapping on the bit or collet will probably be your only recourse.

Joe Scharle
05-26-2009, 8:10 PM
I put an Eliminator Collet on my Woodrat mounted 625 3-4 years ago. Really speeds up bit changes. Prior to that, I used to slide router and plate off to change bits. I also run a brass brush up the sleeve of all my 'spring' collets quite often. They do get dirt packed.

Doug Shepard
05-27-2009, 6:39 AM
Thanks folks. I should be done with the current setup either later today or tomorrow AM. I'll pull the bit then (one way or another) and go over everything closely and see what I can figure out between this thread and the one Glenn linked to.

Robert Chapman
05-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Don't know if it is relevant but I always make sure that a bit is not seated on the bottom of the collet - never have a problem removing bits.

Dan Cameron
05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
I had the same problem with my Elu router until I learned to completely snap the collet into the nuts retaining ring. This is the only way the "self eject" will work.

Dan