PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Have you ever seen this before?

James & Zelma Litzmann
05-26-2009, 5:37 PM
Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it?

any help is much, much appreciated!

Zachery Thomas
05-26-2009, 5:40 PM
It appears you've deleted a system font, or have a font selected that has been unistalled.

Zax.

Paul Brinkmeyer
05-26-2009, 5:41 PM
Hd something similar happen once, I just closed corel and re -started corel and all was fine, only happened once.

Mike Null
05-26-2009, 5:44 PM
I've never seen it before but it looks like your fonts all have a temporary files suffix.

Check your Windows font folder in Control Panel and see if it is ok.

If so I would think that you could delete this folder but don't do so until somebody with more expertise than I checks in.

In case there's a misunderstanding, I'm not suggesting you should delete you Windows font folder, rather whatever folder these (temp) files are in if your font folder is ok.

Eric DeSilva
05-26-2009, 5:57 PM
I'm with Mike. I think something has written a bunch of temporary files into your Windows Font folder. Windows tries to interpret the files as font definitions and you get garbage...

You might want to see if anything new you installed has a default directory improperly pointing at the font folder, as opposed to a temp folder....

James & Zelma Litzmann
05-26-2009, 6:20 PM
I closed Corel once, re-opened it and it was gone. Unfortunality it came back. Closed Corel, turned off the computer, restarted and so far it has not returned . . . I don't like gremlins!

Checked in the control panel and the fonts folder looks good.

Thanks everyone for taking time out of you day to help, I will let you know if they come back.

Mike Null
05-26-2009, 8:52 PM
What folder is this in?

David Harvey
05-27-2009, 7:34 AM
Do you have a 'lot' of fonts installed?

If so, it could simply be that you are running out of system resources (memory) for Corel to build the font list properly.

James & Zelma Litzmann
05-27-2009, 8:02 AM
It was in Corel font drop down list.

I could possibly have too many fonts installed, I will look at removing some when I get to the office.

Mike Null
05-27-2009, 8:29 AM
I doubt if you have too many fonts installed. I have 3 or 4 thousand.

Have you installed all the Corel updates? If not go to the CorelDraw site and download all the updates.

In the meantime you can try shutting Corel down and re-start by pressing the F8 key during start up. This will re-set Corel to it's default settings and you will have to re-set your work space to what ever you like.

You can actually save your workspace settings by going into options>workspace but from there you'll have to find your way.

Richard Rumancik
05-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I understand that XP does not have a limit on number of fonts installed (I assume it is the same for Vista) but some people say that if you have a lot of fonts installed you will increase boot-up time and use resources. Mike, you haven't noticed slow bootup or anything?

Mike Null
05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Richard

The secret is not to keep them in the Windows font folder. Just keep the necessary Windows fonts in the Windows folder and make another fonts folder to house your font library. Then Windows doesn't see them when it boots.

Here's a good tutorial.

http://www.unleash.com/articles/fonts/fontmanage.html

Tom Cullen
05-27-2009, 1:29 PM
I would agree with Mike, but I would also add that you really don't need to worry about a font folder being full. Fonts will not really take up that much space on your hard drive. they're really small. The end extension TMP would kinda point to a temperary folder or a temp file, did you download those fonts? If you did maybe they are still in a temp folder under your C drive and you need to move them into the regular font folder.

Just a thought
Hope this helps.
Tom

James & Zelma Litzmann
05-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Well, I did not have the same problems today, we developed new ones. haha :eek:

Seriously, they are gone, I don't know what caused it or what fixed it but it seems to be gone. It is good to know that it is hard to have too many fonts installed. I don't know how many I have but I didn't think I had too many. Those were not actually fonts . . . I don't think?

Any how all is well in my font world.

Thanks everyone, you're still some really great guys.

Frank Corker
05-28-2009, 5:00 AM
I have found that if you have too many fonts installed on your computer, I'm referring to xp, it runs and starts up like a pig. Mike I'm suprised yours will even run with 3/4 thousand fonts installed.

The same thing occurs in Corel Draw, too many fonts and the start up time is delayed. The errors you are having I had but only when I had the latest version X4 of Corel, that along with one or two other GUI problems. Certain visual things, especially in the dockers were not displaying correctly. I returned back to X3 and everything runs better without the graphics userface problems.

Mike Null
05-28-2009, 7:44 AM
Frank

Have a look at that tutorial as it does a better job of explaining than I can. But basically when you move most of your fonts to a separate folder and out of the Windows folder they are not seen during boot up.

Frank Corker
05-28-2009, 9:28 AM
Thanks Mike, I didn't know that. I'll look into it.

John Noell
05-28-2009, 3:08 PM
One of the first things I do when odd gremlins show up is to check for any file corruption on the hard drive. You can (1) go to a command prompt (e.g., Start->Run-> type 'cmd' (without quotes), then (2) in the cmd window type 'chkdsk c: /f', (3) answer 'y' to run later (it cannot run while Windows is running), and (4) restart computer. The chkdsk wil run on start up and the '/f' says go ahead and fix any errors it finds.

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-28-2009, 4:17 PM
PLEASE be very careful when giving and receiving computer advice! You can royally muck up someone's computer and cost them many hours of down time and even more dollars in tech time!

I never claim to be a computer expert, but let's just say I was heavily involved with computers in my former life and I have repaired far too many computers that were mucked up with free advice. I have stated in other posts, I easily manage over 43,000 fonts with a font manger (FontExpert) and keep less then 200 installed on my XP computers. I have also easily mucked up my own computer by experimenting and deleting various font files I thought were unnecessary.

1. Do not attempt to delete the \windows\Fonts folder!

2. Installing too many fonts will consume resources and slow down your computer - including Corel and any other programs that allow you to change fonts for your text.

3. Copy your downloaded & purchased fonts to a special folder on a hard drive or network drive. It can be called anything you want. (i.e. \1fonts, \myfonts, \banana) You are not installing these fonts by copying them to this folder. They are merely taking up space. Windows is not using any system resources other then what is necessary for file management purposes.

4. If you are going to use a lot of fonts, use a font manager. This will allow you to quickly view and install/uninstall new fonts when needed for your various projects. (Search this forum and you will find various other posts about using font managers.)

5. When you install a font with a Font Manager, some FM programs will copy the font file into the \windows\Fonts folder. Other Font Managers will provide a shortcut link into the \windows\Fonts folder so Windows knows the font is installed and resources are then allocated. (When you look in the \Fonts folder it appears the font file is located in it, yet when you look at the font properties, the file is really located in your \whizbang folder.) No matter what the FM does with the file, that specific font is installed and is taking up Windows resources.

The original problem was most-likely due to Corel mis-managing system resources. I have seen this happen when I have worked with large files with a lot of complicated graphics or multiple fonts I forgot to convert to curves, and/or I had several other resource-intensive programs open at the same time. I have also seen the same symptoms Frank mentioned. Sometimes closing and re-opening Corel will resolve the problem. Other times you need to reboot and free up resources that were not previously released by other programs. There is no need to do an F8 and reset Corel. If the problem continues to occur, I would look at your installed fonts and if you have more then several hundred installed, start removing ones you installed and no longer use.

That said, you are reading free advice. Proceed with caution.

Mike Null
05-28-2009, 5:09 PM
Mike

I re-read my first post and can see how you thought I might be suggesting deleting the Windows font folder. That was not my intent.

Nevertheless, the tutorial is good advice and something I've followed for many years. You can store as many fonts as you like on your system as long as you don't tie up the Windows font folder. Chances are very good that they'll take up far less space than photos or music for example.