PDA

View Full Version : The new limey workshop

Rob Littleton
08-15-2004, 1:29 PM
Well, for the longest time, I waited for the foundation to get poured, then I waited forever for the framers, the roofers were here the day after they were called and the plumber was about 2 weeks before getting to me.

Needless to say, I have the frame, the roof and water and gas into the shop now. I have also had the electrician add a sub panel and I did all my own wiring inside the shop. He aint gonna heat up the sub panel til after the rough in inspection (tomorrow apparently), then I can hang the sheet rock and then he will heat up the panel. (SIGH!!!)

Well, there were things I wanted to learn and thought what a great opportunity to learn in my own shop. I did the electrics and the electrician passed that. Cool.......then I decided I would do the sheet rock myself.

For those of you that know, I have had an addition on the side of the house and broke the wall thru to the original 3 car garage. The wife wants a garage (who rude!!!) so I gave her 1 and half car garage. I took the rest. I built a partition acroos the two and that aint part of the inspection so I can go ahead and complete that myself.

Well, Im learning...........I've learnt I hate sheetrocking....I beginning to hate electrics and I also learned I aint the most patient bloke around. That stuff takes longer than 20 minutes to dry and I want it dry in 10, not overnight :-(.

Anyhoo, here I am covered in dust while the family heads out to church and I needed to tell someone. If you read this far, God bless you.

To all you sheet rockers and painters out there, you are on my hero list.

Thanks for reading. Pictures to follow when the cloud has settled down in the shop from sanding this garbage. :-)

John Miliunas
08-15-2004, 3:41 PM
I feel for ya', Rob! Drywalling/mudding ranks right "up there" for plumbing in my book! The drywalling I don't care to do and the plumbing I *hate* doing! Sadly, funds usually don't allow to call in the Pro's, though I am in awe at how easy they make it look. The electrical I don't mind, but me and heights don't get along so, roofing is defintely out, as is much of the framing (past one story, anyhow!). Patience isn't one of my strongest attributes, either! :o I will say that woodworking and a shop and an older home is learnin' me just about all the above. Hang in there...It'll get better! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
08-15-2004, 6:07 PM
Drywall and plumbing? I can do it.....don't like it, but I can do it. Usually takes me about 20 years to finish either of those project types.!!! :eek: :D

Tony Falotico
08-15-2004, 6:23 PM
Been Drywallin' and plasterin' my workshop for better than two months now (in between the other six irons in the fire), hate the plasterin' with a passion. :mad: Guess it wouldn't be as bad if I were a better dry-waller. Progress is slow, but I'm making it. Good thing I don't have to pay the mortgage with my dry-wallin' and plasterin' skills ! Give me some good ole plumbin' or 'lectrical work any day of the week, hate that plasterin' and sandin'!

Oh well, I'll get it done one of these days........ :rolleyes:

Jim O'Dell
08-15-2004, 6:51 PM
Just to let you guys know, I bought a little device that is hand held, has a sanding "grate" that you can replace, and hooks up the the shop vac. Sucks up most of the drywall dust!! Works pretty good. A lot better than breathing all of the dust. I have a extra hose that I hook on to the exhaust port and stick out a window since most filters don't catch all the dust.
Got mine at the blue borg a couple years ago. Good luck! Jim.

Jim Becker
08-15-2004, 8:19 PM
'Glad the shop is coming along, Rob...but, no pictures???? Sheesh!

When I did my recent drywall work after the new bay window went in, I was SO THANKFUL I paid careful attention to how the folks I sub-ed the rock in the rest of the kitchen project last summer did things. It eliminated almost all the sanding...only a little bit after the final (third) coat of mud. If you knock down any ridges with the knife before the next coat, there really isn't any sanding to do. (Think "cabinet/card scraper") And it's important to run and smooth a bead of caulk in the corners to completely eliminate any minor imperfections in the joint before painting. Further, "do not pass GO, do not collect $200", you must mix the mud (and sometimes thin it slightly) before you even think about applying it. It's not ready to go out of the container...and if you don't prepare it, you'll end up "over working" the mud on the wall which exacerbates any technique challenges you may have with this largely unpleasant task!

Chris Padilla
08-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Rob,

I hear you. I hate plumbing, too, but I can handle the water plumbing...just not the gas plumbing. I'm paying a plumber $500 to come out and pretty-up the gas line situation in my garage...he'll do it Friday.

For drywall, I found a couple guys to hang 5/8" fire-rated in my garage for under $1500. Worth every penny: hanging will take a day and finishing (1 step above fire-taping) another.

I can do the drywall but the whole garage is too much work and would take me too much time. Everything in my garage is already taking 10x the amount of work I thought it would...not a big surprise.

I got some electrical done last weekend but still have plenty more to do. Darn, I need another week off from work...just another week.... :D

John Miliunas
08-16-2004, 11:39 AM
I got some electrical done last weekend but still have plenty more to do. Darn, I need another week off from work...just another week.... :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again: That whole "working for a living" concept is simply way, WAY over-rated! :mad: It just gets in the way of truly fun AND important tasks! :rolleyes: So, do you *honestly* think "just another week" would do it? I know if I said that before continuing work on a given project, I'd be saying the same thing, at least, two or three more times! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
08-16-2004, 2:14 PM
I agree with Chris...unless there is a really small job involved, sub-ing out drywall and taping (or at least the taping) is the way to go. For out kitchen, it was absolutely worth the $1500 I put out for it, too. (And I could "work" {real job} while they did it, too...)