PDA

View Full Version : So my cell phone failed

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2009, 3:39 PM
And wouldn't you know it the tech opened it (out of my sight) and found the moisture ndicators had turned.
That, for them, was sufficient to void the warranty.
Mind you I had purchased that insurance - with the $50.00 deductible.

I decided to buy another phone 'cause there was a rebate of $50.00 if I re-upped my contract.

Meanwhile I got to thinking.
Every one knows that BlockBuster was sued and had to stop charging late fees. They lost because there was no way to validate the claim that some video was returned late. People shoved 'em in the slot or dropped 'em at the desk and when the clerk got around to it they checked 'em back in.

This is sort of like the Moisture indicator. Unless you see them open the phone you have no way to know if they ruined it. Even if you do you still have no indicia of reliability of the moisture sticker's accuracy. It could be one of a defect run of stickers. You can't tell and neither can they. And that's the point. The Telecoms are making a bundle denying warranties to people on the sole force of a moisture indicator sticker the accuracy of which is un-documented.

And there's no way for the customer to know what level of moisture is too much. They sell these devices without any protective coverings. Slip it in your pocket (a moist environment) and off ya go.
No one tells you diddly except to not drop it in water.

Now here's the deal. I don't do mass tort litigation. It costs too much money for a solo to do. You have all the costs of experts and discovery and mailings to all the class members. It's beastly costly.

But this is a wrong that is begging for redress. This is what Class actions are all about.
Don't ya think?

David G Baker
05-26-2009, 4:25 PM
Next time take a lawyer with you that doesn't have a vested interest in the condition of your phone and demand to watch the tech open the phone and view the indicator prior to the tech putting moisture on it. Sounds like you got the phone from Best Buy.

Stephen Tashiro
05-26-2009, 4:38 PM
Or, next time, pour a bucket of water over yourself before you go in the store. Be careful not to get the phone wet. Then stand at the counter and demand to watch the tech as he inspects the moisture indicator, while water is dripping off you onto the floor. This will be so disturbing to the representative that he will probably allow your warranty no matter what the moisture indicator says.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2009, 4:51 PM
Next time take a lawyer with you that doesn't have a vested interest in the condition of your phone and demand to watch the tech open the phone and view the indicator prior to the tech putting moisture on it.

My daughter's provider does pretty much that. They ask you to open to phone and expose the indicators.
That does nothing to address the questions about sticker validity for the purpose.

Sounds like you got the phone from Best Buy.

the Verizon store. Not that there's much difference.

Or, next time, pour a bucket of water over yourself before you go in the store. Be careful not to get the phone wet. Then stand at the counter and demand to watch the tech as he inspects the moisture indicator, while water is dripping off you onto the floor. This will be so disturbing to the representative that he will probably allow your warranty no matter what the moisture indicator says.

That sort of appeals to my sense of the comicus horribilous.

Eric DeSilva
05-26-2009, 6:13 PM
If I remember correctly, wireless companies don't make the phones and the warranties they sell you are third party warranties. I don't think they give a flying financial hoot whether the insurer pays out or not.

Matt Meiser
05-26-2009, 6:27 PM
I can't imagine they don't profit nicely from someone buying a new phone, whether they pay full price or get a new one "free" and renew their contract for another 2 years.

Mitchell Andrus
05-26-2009, 6:45 PM
Don't pay $60.00/year to insure a $100.00 phone.

I saw a woman purchase a $75.00 phone with her $50.00 deductible plus $25.00 from Verizon. It cost her $70.00 in insurance payments to get that $25.00.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2009, 7:11 PM
Don't pay $60.00/year to insure a $100.00 phone.

I saw a woman purchase a $75.00 phone with her $50.00 deductible plus $25.00 from Verizon. It cost her $70.00 in insurance payments to get that $25.00.

I know, I asked myself the same question.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2009, 7:15 PM
Well for you Do It Yourself-ers out there:

You can purchase a new battery with a fresh moisture meter, and you can take your brand spanky new phone and apply a bit of packing tape over the other indicator first applying a little cut out the size of the indicator dot reverse on the tape so it doesn't pull the dot apart when you peel it away and head off to the phone story to get your warranty. Some folks use clear nail polish on them.

As for myself I shall rely on AMEX.

Ben Rafael
05-26-2009, 7:28 PM
Buy an Iphone and get the apple warranty. It has a zero deductible. You take the phone in and they give you a replacement then and there. They dont open the phone to inspect anything.
Some companies know how to treat customers, some dont.

Eric DeSilva
05-26-2009, 8:21 PM
I can't imagine they don't profit nicely from someone buying a new phone, whether they pay full price or get a new one "free" and renew their contract for another 2 years.

Actually, here in the US the carriers subsidize the phones so, no, they don't make any money off the sale of a new phone. Where they make their money is the service plan--the longer you are committed for, the more they like it. But, seems to me like happy customers = longer term customers, so I still don't see any incentive for the company to create a policy of fraudulently turning down legitimate claims.