PDA

View Full Version : Vector cut Maple?

Larry Bratton
05-26-2009, 2:31 PM
I have a request to cut some small parts from some maple that is reported to be 3/16" thick. Since I have never cut any maple, I seem to remember reading here that it isn't the greatest for cutting. Your advice and experience will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Null
05-26-2009, 2:37 PM
Maple is excellent for cutting and engraving. I cut in two passes to minimize charring but get a good edge. Here's some 5/32" stuff I just did.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111739

George M. Perzel
05-26-2009, 2:48 PM
Hi Larry;
Both hard and soft maple cut fine and soft engraves with better contrast than the hard both both are OK.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Larry Bratton
05-26-2009, 4:12 PM
Gentlemen:
I thank you for your prompt replies.

Sandra Force
05-27-2009, 2:57 PM
Maple is great to cut, it is cherry with the twisted grain and pitch pockets that can cause problems.:o Make sure your lens is clean and air assist is on.

George M. Perzel
05-27-2009, 4:14 PM
Hi Sandra;
Are you sure it's cherry? I've cut tons (yeah, really) of cherry and have never seen a pitch pocket nor had any issue regarding grain-actually look for flame grain or tiger stripe cherry but tough to find.
Then again, it may be due to where the wood is from-everyone knows eastern black cherry is superior to anything grown on the west coast.......
TIC
Best regards;
George
LaserArts