PDA

View Full Version : 1642 Runout question?

Robert Parrish
05-26-2009, 1:27 PM
I just noticed some runout on my Jet 1642. I bought the lathe about a year ago and haven't used it much until lately. This runout may have been there the entire time and I didn't notice it. The reason I noticed it today is that I have a new Beall collet chuck and it is very noticeable with it running. It is not the chuck because I tried a live center in the headstock and you can see the wobble. How much runout is acceptable or if any is?

John W Dixon
05-26-2009, 1:36 PM
Can someone post a definition of runout?

Nathan Hawkes
05-26-2009, 1:44 PM
any wobble from spinning perfectly in alignment with the tailstock.

Richard Madison
05-26-2009, 2:45 PM
There is axial run out (movement parallel to the spindle), and radial run out (non-circular movement perpendicular to spindle axis). Wobble, which may appear to be a combination of both, is often a result of something being crooked. Could be dirt in the MT, defective chuck insert or spindle adapter, burr or bump (dent) in the spindle shoulder or insert shoulder, or maybe worst case a bent spindle.

Dick Strauss
05-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Robert,
I think Richard is on to something...Check to see if there is something on the inside of the MT2 taper keeping it from seating properly. This would cause the issue you mention.

Robert Parrish
05-27-2009, 8:33 AM
Problem solved! There was some epoxy way in the back of the MT. A little acetone took care of the problem. I ordered an MT cleaner which should help.

John W Dixon
05-27-2009, 7:07 PM
Glad ya got it figured out!

John