PDA

View Full Version : Help please with panel fitting

George Murphy
05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I am trying to make a simple frame-and-panel piece. I have dadoed out the rails and stiles with a 1/2 inch router bit to accept the 1/2 inch birch plywood panels. Or so I thought... It seems the bit is maybe a 32nd or 16th too small for the panel.
So I am looking for the fix that is quick, easy, fast, painless. Whatever.
Do I:
Sand the plywood on the inside edges to fit?
Re-rout all the dadoes?
Rout or cut a thin slit down the center of the edge of the plywood so it can flex in from both sides?
Somehow sand or widen the dadoes?

I suppose sanding the plywood is easiest. I just don't look forward to that mess.

Why does something that should be simple become so hard?

Thanks for any ideas, hints, even criticism.

Lee Schierer
05-26-2009, 12:47 PM
The best way is to set up your router and make a second pass taking off a slight amount off of one or both sides of the existing groove.

George Murphy
05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Lee. That's what I was afraid of. Oh, well, I guess I can use the practice. :rolleyes:

Bill Huber
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM
I will second Lee's reply, that has to be the best way to do it.

The problem you have is why I always make test cuts on things like that.

Good luck.

George Murphy
05-26-2009, 1:04 PM
The problem you have is why I always make test cuts on things like that.

That's what stinks. I did a test cut and thought that it fit nice and snug. Apparently, only that particular section fit at all. Doh!

Jim Kountz
05-26-2009, 2:34 PM
If at all possible take a very very small cut and make a pass, flip the piece end for end and make another pass. This will perfectly center the groove. If you take it all off one side your groove wont be centered.