PDA

View Full Version : Call me doofus....

Bonnie Campbell
05-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I had this happen before and KNEW better, but.... I put on my chuck (with adapter) and didn't slip on the plastic washer. So now I sit with the adapter stuck on the lathe. Any bright ideas (and simple) for getting the adapter off? It's stuck on a PSI Turncrafter Pro.......

Don Carter
05-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Bonnie:
I have used a strap wrench to get things off my lathe. Sears sells a nice one.
It is good to hear from you again. Let us know how it works out.

Jim Kountz
05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Theres no flats on the adapter for a wrench? Mine all have that. What kind of chuck is it?

Burt Alcantara
05-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Worst case: Put key in chuck with lock engaged. Tap with dead blow or mallet. Tap. Tap. Not off? WHACK!

I've done this a few times on various threaded attachment to the spindle on both a Nova 1624 and my current 3520b, tho I now drop a spot of oil on attachments I know will be a problem.

Aaron Wingert
05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Been there done that. That little nylon washer is sure nice to have!!! :D
I used the indexing head on my headstock to hold keep the spindle from spinning and then broke the chuck loose with a home-made strap wrench that consisted of an oil filter wrench with some router pad material to make it grab.

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Happens every once in a while... just lock the spindle, insert chuck key and tap the key. Usually comes right off!

Mike Minto
05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
OK, you asked...Bonnie, you're a...no, can't do it. These things happen. Mike :p

Bonnie Campbell
05-26-2009, 1:33 PM
Unfortunately there's no spindle lock on this lathe (least none I ever knew of). Everything is so nice and rounded. The adapter has flats, but doesn't help m7uch when there's nothing to hold to brace..... Got it soaking with WD-40 right now. After lunch I'll go beat on the bugger to try getting it loose.

steven carter
05-26-2009, 2:37 PM
Doofus, (o.k. you asked for it)

I just open the jaws and use my knock out bar at the base of the jaws running perpendicular to the ways. What kind of lathe is it? Maybe you can get to the opposite end of the headstock from the spidle and hold it by clamping the belt together or some other means? Pictures or more information would be helpful.

Steve

Bonnie Campbell
05-26-2009, 2:39 PM
It's a PSI Turncrafter Pro. I was able to break the chuck loose, but the adapter is still stuck on. Was just getting ready to go try some more weak muscle on it lol

Tell ya how it goes when I get back......

Steve Knowlton
05-26-2009, 2:44 PM
Pipe Wrench.

Chip Sutherland
05-26-2009, 3:08 PM
I picked up some extra vibration using the washers but I used them for the exact reason you do. I changed from using the washers to keeping my chuck/chuck threads and spindle threads clean. That has generally worked for me; otherwise, I do what everyone else does....use a dead blow or wooden pallet to persuade it off.

But I really like the oil filter wrench idea best. I've got some extra leather to create one like I used in high school

Bonnie Campbell
05-26-2009, 3:26 PM
Okay, no go yet. Found filter wrenches to try holding the wheel, didn't work. Tried pounding on hex wrenches mounted in holes on the spindle by the adapter, nope. Hunted for a pipe wrench, but haven't found one yet. Gave up and sprayed it liberally with Gibbs oil. Guess it sits and eventually I'll get it off or I can't use centers in it.....

Wally Dickerman
05-26-2009, 4:01 PM
Without knowing what your lathe is I can't offer a suggestion on how to lock the spindle, which you must do to remove the adapter.

The reason that you get stuck adapters, chucks, etc. is that they must be snugged up to the spindle tightly. If there is any small amount of movement with the chuck when the lathe is turned on it will freeze itself to the spindle shoulder. Result...stuck chuck or in this case, adapter. I never use a washer because I want steel against steel contact for a more solid cut when turning.

I do have a suggestion for you for later. I suggest that you get a threaded insert for your chuck to fit your lathe so that you don't have to use an adapter. Everything works better that way.

Wally

Brian Weaver
05-26-2009, 4:32 PM
Bonnie, you mentioned holes in the spindle by the adapter. If its like my jet you should be able to put your knock out bar in one of these holes and then rotated the spindle so the bar comes up against the the bed. Then you should be able to put a wrench on your adapter and hopefully get it to come off.

John Fricke
05-26-2009, 4:35 PM
Bonnie,
I did a little research online, If what I found is correct the turncrafter lathes supposedly have a hole in the headstock somewhere that line up with a hole through the spindle that you can insert a punch or perhaps a phillips screwdriver into to hold the spindle from turning. Hope this is true and helpful for you.

David Drickhamer
05-26-2009, 4:47 PM
Hi Bonnie,
Put a wrench (or channel locks) on the flats on your adapter and a strap wrench on the hand wheel and it should come off with out much trouble. I've done this on my old midi and it works fine. In the future if you don't have a nylon washer you can use just a piece of paper bag in place of it. I've done this for years. HF has strap wrenches but if you can't find any PM me and I'm sure I have a spare I can send you.
Dave

Brian Brown
05-26-2009, 5:31 PM
Bonnie,

You have heard all the answers I can think of, but I will menion that when you do finally get it off, be sure you clean up all the oil you put on it. That stuff migrates everywhere, and will ruin wood and clothes.

Bonnie Campbell
05-26-2009, 6:34 PM
Looks like I've got a dedicated chuck lathe. If I can get hold of the guy that helps me out sometimes I'll see if he can get it loose. Oh well.

Kyle Iwamoto
05-26-2009, 7:56 PM
Is there a locking allen setscrew on the chuck? If there is, put the chuck back on, and tighten down on the setscrew a LOT. Then try and repeating the above suggestions to try and pop the chuck off. The trick is to hold the handle as best you can, and have someone else give the chuck a quick and sudden hit to try and pop the chuck loose.
I used to get mine stuck all the time before I discovered that cheap nylon washer...... Automotive anti-sieze compound helps. I still use it. It's pretty messy, so I put it on, then screw the chuck on and off a few times to get the anti-sieze spread around, and then wipe away the excess.

Bonnie Campbell
05-26-2009, 8:00 PM
I had tried putting the chuck back on, hoping IT would seize up on the adapter. Didn't work. Not sure if there is a set screw on the chuck? It's a PSI Utility chuck I had on. Maybe I'll try turning something to jam the chuck on and try again.....

Mark Norman
05-26-2009, 9:43 PM
Just the day before yesterday I was in the same boat with my new machine. I spent two hours working on getting the faceplate off, I ended up grinding a flat in my spindle (ouch) and putting a strap wrench on both the spindle and faceplate to get it off. It was NOT an easy task. Next was pipe wrenches but that surely would have caused damage to the parts.

Today I stopped by the hardware store and got two 1-1/4" gaskets from the plumbing department. Another member here warned me to put flats on the spindle when I was building the beast but I didn't heed his warning...Lesson learned.

I wish you the best of luck.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/lathe%20build/100_1848.jpg

John Fricke
05-26-2009, 9:51 PM
Hey Mark,

I know how much you love takin her apart and puttin her back together again. You could always take the spindle back to your machinist and have flats milled in to cover up your grinder marks.

Mark Norman
05-26-2009, 9:54 PM
And while I'm at it I will have a through hole drilled and a MT machined in the end.:)
No hurry now though..no money:(

Keith Albertson
05-26-2009, 9:55 PM
I'm a newbie, so are telling me that little plastic thing that came between the headstock and the faceplate WASN'T just a packing device, and not only was I supposed to keep it, but I'm supposed to use it!!!! Oh no.....

Bonnie Campbell
05-26-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm a newbie, so are telling me that little plastic thing that came between the headstock and the faceplate WASN'T just a packing device, and not only was I supposed to keep it, but I'm supposed to use it!!!! Oh no.....

Thanks Keith! As bad as my day has been, that caused me to chuckle ;)

Brian McInturff
05-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Well, from all the "experts" I've talked to you should not use any type of gasket material. You need the metal to metal so everything is flat. For the most part if you just snug the chuck or faceplate up to the mating surface then you should be good. Any type of gasket could cause you not to be flat and could cause your turnings to be "off". Avoid big catches and they should come off with just a little assistance. Mark, just have them mill a few flats on the spindle so you can get a wrench on it. Or better yet devise something on the back of the spindle so you can lock it in. Just remember, this is prototype 1 of your Monster lathe. I'm sure over the next few weeks you will find several things you will want to upgrade or change.

Richard Madison
05-26-2009, 11:01 PM
So Mark, with about a hundred of us "helping" with your lathe design nobody suggested a spindle lock? Bonnie, we may all be doofuses.

Mark Norman
05-26-2009, 11:25 PM
So Mark, with about a hundred of us "helping" with your lathe design nobody suggested a spindle lock? Bonnie, we may all be doofuses.

No Richard it was mentioned, someone mentioned flats on the spindle for just such an occasion. I was the doofus that didn't listen.

Brian, The R&D is in its infancy;)

sorry to highjack yer thread Ms doofus I mean... uh... err... Bonnie;):p nbl

Bonnie Campbell
05-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Well...... I had a heart to spindle talk with the lathe last night. Told it I'd dose it really good with Gibbs and then I was going to bed. If it intended on staying at this residence, it had better let the adapter go. I think I seen the lathe quiver at them words.

So, just a bit ago, I went down and asked it if it was going to 'stay' or 'go'? Put the metal filter wrench on the wheel, the wrench on the adapter and gave it a good whack. I think I seen the lathe jump for joy. It gets to stay :rolleyes: I checked out the threads on the spindle and the Gibbs DID penetrate all the way. Better than WD has worked. So Mr Gibbs and the lathe are good buddies and I can turn the turkey strikers today.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions!!!

Steve Frederick
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Happens every once in a while... just lock the spindle, insert chuck key and tap the key. Usually comes right off!
Or, I use the center drive-out rod, in the chuck key hole. Lock the spindle and pry a bit. Just a bump usually does it. (I have a Barracuda Chuck.)

robert hainstock
05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
The catalog pix of your lathe shows a handwheel on the back end of the headstock. maybe a strapwrench on that, and a sharp tap on whatever wrench you're using on the other end.??? As has been said, Good luck!
Bob

Bonnie Campbell
05-27-2009, 12:01 PM
I got the adapter off, finally, this morning. Mr Gibbs and the lathe are having a party now.....

Next job is to figure out how to get the blade back on my bandsaw.... Can't find the book on it. Tain't one thing it's another...... I'm starting to wonder if I should be messing with any power tools.

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Bonnie glad to hear all is well and you can get back to turning.

Richard Madison
05-27-2009, 1:45 PM
Very entertaining post Bonnie (your #30). Glad to hear your lathe gets to stay there and make some more round stuff.

Mark Norman
05-27-2009, 2:27 PM
Very entertaining post Bonnie (your #30). Glad to hear your lathe gets to stay there and make some more round stuff.
Agreed, I like you're sense of humor Bonnie.

Judy Kingery
05-27-2009, 3:08 PM
Bonnie,

Glad it worked out! I had that problem with an aluminum faceplate and course steel drive. I like to never have gotten them apart. Steel on steel threads I've not had any trouble at all, but then with a knockout punch, it makes life much easier that way. Glad it worked out for you! And PS, you're not a dufas!

Jude