PDA

View Full Version : A nations jewel and a friend is gone...

Glenn Clabo
05-26-2009, 9:32 AM
The last few days have been very difficult for Laurie and I...we lost a very close friend...and the submarine force lost the best weapons loading/handling/launch engineer...ever. Even after a few days...I'm in shock. He was only 44 years old...had just found the love of his life...and taken on the job of his dreams...and now he's gone. AS you read the following you should know it only lightly touches on what a genuine good guy Marty was...

Martin James Moran WHITE PLAINS, Md. -- Martin James Moran passed away suddenly near his home in White Plains, Md., on May 22, 2009. He was born in Portland on Oct. 24, 1964. His parents Richard and Barbara (nee Lamb) brought him home to his siblings Janna, Bob, Susan, Carol, and Dick. The family resided in Westbrook where Marty attended school and epitomized everything about the 'youngest' child. He was a precocious child who excelled at academics, athletics, and fun. He graduated from Westbrook High School in 1983. While there he was an accomplished student and standout on the track and cross country teams. After high school Marty attended Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts. At WPI he continued his athletic career and his academic achievements. He spent much of his free time helping his sister Susan renovate her 'vintage' home in Massachusetts. He graduated in 1987 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering. After graduation Marty went immediately to work for the U.S. Navy at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard (Kittery) where he began his long association with the Nation's nuclear submarine fleet. His supervisors quickly noticed his talent and work ethic and he advanced quickly. In 1988 he transferred to the technical support center for the Atlantic Submarine Fleet. There he built his expertise in the systems that steer and dive submarines. Marty moved on to become the acknowledged expert in nuclear submarine weapons launcher/torpedo systems. He traveled the entire world to assist submarine crews in diagnosing problems, repairing damage, and enabling deployment of the fleet. He never shrank from a challenge, but relished the opportunity to solve a problem. His career took him to assignments in Norfolk, Va.; Newport, R.I.; Portsmouth, Va.; and Washington, D.C. While in Newport he found time to earn a master's degree in Ocean Engineering from the University of Rhode Island. His latest posting was as the Technical Authority for weapons systems for the entire U.S. Navy nuclear submarine fleet. Marty was equally at ease on the deck plates of the torpedo room and the conference rooms of the Pentagon. His friends and colleagues include Seaman Apprentices to Admirals. His contribution to the defense of our Nation is unsung in public but recognized by all those that are part of the small close knit submarine community. Other professional accomplishments include registration as a Professional Engineer in Virginia, and memberships in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the Society of Ocean Engineering. Marty found his true love, Donna (Johnson) and after many years of anticipation they were wed on the Spring Equinox, 2007. They spent many happy days working their farm in Cortland, Va. In addition to raising dogs, cats, geese, peacocks, goats, and Texas longhorn cattle Marty undertook renovating everything that didn't have fur or feathers. With their recent relocation to the Washington area they again undertook renovation of their almost new home. Marty never saw a landscape, structure, or machine that he couldn't rebuild and improve. Marty had an abiding love of music. He was an accomplished self taught pianist and played professionally in several local Virginia venues. Marty leaves behind his loving wife Donna; and his step-sons Adam and Ben; his parents Dick and Barbara of Scarborough; brothers Bob of South Portland and Dick of Cape Elizabeth, sisters Janna of Farmington, Susan of Burnt Hills, N.Y., and Carol of Yarmouth. His extended family includes nieces Sarah, Angela and Jackie, nephews Andrew, Phil, Alex and Amos, aunts, uncles, and cousins throughout New England. His loss is felt especially hard by his dear friends Amelia, Oak, and Aspen. Visiting hours will be 4-8 p.m. on Friday, May 29, at the Conroy-Tully Crawford South Portland Chapel, 1024 Broadway, South Portland. An 11 a.m. Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Saturday, May 30, at the St. Maximilian Kolbe Church, 150 Black Point Rd., Scarborough. Online condolences may be expressed at www.ctcrawford.com. In lieu of flowers donations may be made in Marty's memory to: The Humane Society of the United States, Dept. GAIT04 2100 L St., NW Washington, D.C. 20037

Dennis Peacock
05-26-2009, 9:42 AM
What a loss.!!! What a man that graced our nation.!!!! So young. I'm very saddened by this news and will be praying for his family and friends. My most sincere condolences Glenn.

Belinda Barfield
05-26-2009, 10:40 AM
My condolences as well Glenn, to you and Laurie, to Marty's family and friends.

Phyllis Meyer
05-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Glenn,

You are in our thoughts and prayers, as well as this young man's family!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Jim Kountz
05-26-2009, 12:02 PM
My condolences to the family.

Steve Schlumpf
05-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Glenn, my condolences to you, Laurie and the family.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2009, 1:47 PM
My condolences to his friends and family!

Rob Cunningham
05-26-2009, 2:19 PM
Glenn,
Prayers sent for his family and friends.