PDA

View Full Version : Best bandsaw on a budget?

Matt Brawley
05-26-2009, 8:59 AM
I am looking to buy a bandsaw for my shop either a 14", 16" or 17", and wanted to get everyone's opinions on what would be the best bang for my buck. I know MM and Laguna are out of my price range. What are the opinions of the Grizzly 14" and 17" saws?

Steve Rozmiarek
05-26-2009, 9:17 AM
Does it have to be new? Used might get you more saw, if your willing to work with it a bit to get it up to par. Of course, all new tools need tuned up or at least checked out thouroghly too...

Myk Rian
05-26-2009, 9:18 AM
I got a fantastic Delta 14" on craigslist. Check there often, and be early on sending an e-mail.

ed vitanovec
05-26-2009, 9:19 AM
I don't know what your dollar limit is but Rikon has received good reviews on their 14" and 18" bandsaws. The pricing is resonable.

Regards!
Ed

Paul Ryan
05-26-2009, 9:23 AM
I have a grizzly 0555 and for under $500 you really cant beat it. And grizzly's 17" saws get great reviews too. For an entry level band saw you really cant beat any of grizzly's saws. Other wise there is craiglist, I searched for about a year and finally gave up and bought a new one. I should have do that a lot sooner.

Corey Wilcox
05-26-2009, 9:37 AM
I bought a Grizzly 0555 several years ago and have been completely happy with it. Put on a good quality blade and it will cut anything you ask it to.

Matt Brawley
05-26-2009, 9:40 AM
I am trying to keep it under $1000. I have looked on Craigslist, but in South Florida there are not many woodworkers and even fewer that are getting rid of decent equipment.

Tom Adger
05-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Matt, used is the way to go. I bought a slightly used Ridgid 06101 jointer on ebay for $215. I had to go from Ft Pierce to Tampa to get it, but it gave me a good excuse to visit my daughter there. Check CL for the Orlando, treasure coast, and miami areas as well. If you go the ebay route, be sure to use esnipe, which places your last bid, up to your highest, with 4 seconds to go.

Marc Frimet
05-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I also have the G0555 with riser block. It required very little tune-up and it maintains settings. My only complaint is that the fence is only so-so. But for the price, it is a terrific saw and you can upgrade the fence.

Brett Clark
05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
After watching craigslist (4 different cities) for several months and finding only saws that were too small or too big, I bought a Grizzly G0555X with riser block and shopfox mobile base($810 including shipping) and am quite happy with it so far. I considered a 17", but decided I didn't have the space.

deciding factor over other 14" bandsaws: 1 1/2 horse motor, price, cast iron wheels
favorite non essential features: built in light, solid base that has a built in compartment for storage
dislikes: the roller bearings on the guides are pretty noisy and a bit touchy when adjusting - to be replaced by guide blocks in the near future so I can use smaller blades

Gary Muto
05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I recently purcahsed a Rikon 10-325 and am very pleased with it. I wanted a saw that I could maneuver myself in a pinch and was able to get it into my basement shop. If I had the space and didn't care about the weight, I would've picked up the Jet 18". They sell one with a 1 3/4 motor that was maybe ~$1100.

glenn bradley
05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Google search here on G0513. Comes in different flavors. Many happy owners including myself.

Jim Kountz
05-26-2009, 2:35 PM
Grizzly G0512X2. A beast of a saw for a song of a price!!

Stephen Edwards
05-26-2009, 3:34 PM
GO555X with riser block here and very satisfied. It comes with the re-saw fence which is a great fence, in my opinion. Works well for me. I've never had any drift issues at all.

Another person mentioned the roller guides. They are a bit touchy to set up. Once I figured out how to set them properly, they aren't noisy anymore.

Good Luck with your decision.

Nick Abbott
05-26-2009, 4:49 PM
I am looking at the Grizzly http://grizzly.amazonwebstore.com/Grizzly-G0555-The-Ultimate-1434-Bandsaw/M/B0000DD0AC.htm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SAWXRQQPL._SL250_.jpg

I don't think it can be beat for $395.00.

Stephen Edwards
05-26-2009, 5:06 PM
I am looking at the Grizzly http://grizzly.amazonwebstore.com/Grizzly-G0555-The-Ultimate-1434-Bandsaw/M/B0000DD0AC.htm

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SAWXRQQPL._SL250_.jpg

For $395.00, I agree. It can't be beat. I'm no band saw expert by any means. That's an excellent BS for that price.

But, I'd suggest that you ask yourself and really think about what you want to DO with a BS and what you expect it to do for you. For example, how much re-sawing are you going to do and what width boards do you expect the saw to to handle for re-sawing?

Dave Lehnert
05-26-2009, 10:24 PM
I recently purcahsed a Rikon 10-325 and am very pleased with it. I wanted a saw that I could maneuver myself in a pinch and was able to get it into my basement shop. If I had the space and didn't care about the weight, I would've picked up the Jet 18". They sell one with a 1 3/4 motor that was maybe ~$1100.

JET had a big price increase a few months ago. That saw is now a little over $1,500

Eric Larsen
05-26-2009, 11:35 PM

Buy the riser block kit at the same time. Buy some 105" woodslicer blades because the stock blades are, well, deficient.

Plan on upgrading the fence. I made a bolt-on fence that rides on the original -- for resawing.

I also think the table is entirely too small. I'm planning on beefing that up very soon now (tm).

Finally, read and watch everything you can get your hands on about tuning up your bandsaw. You'll never get the resaw results you want until you have your equipment tuned.

Nick Abbott
05-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Buy the riser block kit at the same time. Buy some 105" woodslicer blades because the stock blades are, well, deficient.

Plan on upgrading the fence. I made a bolt-on fence that rides on the original -- for resawing.

I also think the table is entirely too small. I'm planning on beefing that up very soon now (tm).

Finally, read and watch everything you can get your hands on about tuning up your bandsaw. You'll never get the resaw results you want until you have your equipment tuned.

I plan to purchase the riser block kit and some new blades. I may or may not replace the fence. A tune-up is always a must. That is the saw I plan to purchase to replace my aging band saw unless something used pops up on Craigslist before I pull the trigger on the new Grizzly.

I think I will also convert my old band saw into a metal cutting saw when I come across the right motor.

Eric Larsen
05-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I plan to purchase the riser block kit and some new blades. I may or may not replace the fence. A tune-up is always a must. That is the saw I plan to purchase to replace my aging band saw unless something used pops up on Craigslist before I pull the trigger on the new Grizzly.

The stock fence is pretty-much useless. I never use it. I'm also planning to replace the stock stand with a super-heavy cabinet with drawers for blades and various jigs. Again, that's another "very soon now (tm)" project.

Nick Abbott
05-27-2009, 1:59 AM
The stock fence is pretty-much useless. I never use it. I'm also planning to replace the stock stand with a super-heavy cabinet with drawers for blades and various jigs. Again, that's another "very soon now (tm)" project.

Damn, the fence sure looks good in the picture! ;) I will keep it in mind and if I don't get the cuts I want I will pick up a Kreg.

Cary Falk
05-27-2009, 9:51 AM
Grizzly G0512X2. A beast of a saw for a song of a price!!

I think one of the G0513s would work out great for under a grand. I also have the G0513x2 and love it.

Paul Ryan
05-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Personally I don't mind the stock fence that came with my G0555. I have cut a piece of melamine to clamp on when resawing. But the fence stays put when locked and is pretty acurate. I agree that the table is small but for a sub $400 saw that is what you get, however the table is big enough to get the job done. I was worried about the open stand when I bought the saw but it is very soild, making a stand with storage underneth is a real good idea. Just don't but the shop fox mobile base grizzly reccomends. It is a pile of junk, the metal base is good but the castors are junk. They don't roll nice at all and swivel like %$#@ also, make your own base with good castors.