PDA

View Full Version : hvlp help

larry merlau
08-15-2004, 8:44 AM
i have recently gotten a wagner conversion gun and have gotten to the time where i need to use it. staining the house. read the instructions 3 times and played with water as suggested to get the handle on its parts well i slipped somewhere. i am going to use oil base stain, and i have a guage on the spray handel air intake, another on the 2 gt can-pressure pot, and then the compressor line. i think i need the can set at ten but the handle? any quick help would be helpful. i wil be back in hour 8.30 michagn time/ the show begins at 10//thanks from any who reply

Paul B. Cresti
08-15-2004, 8:55 AM
Larry,
I believe it is subjective to what your settings will be. I have a spray gun and 2.5 gallon pressure pot from Homestead finishing. Jeff Jewitt's suggestion for a starting point is: set the compressure at 50, the pot at 10 and the gun in the range of 28.6-30 ( I believe). I am new to spraying but I have been getting very good results so far.

larry merlau
08-15-2004, 9:17 AM
thnaks your numbers do compare with what i had read on the rteveiws before purchase. but the handle threw me? the instructions didnt show it and threw that i was confused..thanks again and i hope it comes out the other end what are you spraying

Jim Becker
08-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Paul's correct...it's all relative and will actually vary with each finish you use and with each "batch" sometimes. Now, my gun currently has the 1gt cup on the gun and most of the time I find that 15psi at the gun and 40 from the compressor works well for me with the PSL/USL I generally spray. I think I used similar settings when I sprayed thinned Rustoleum last year, but don't recall specifically. I start with my normal settings and spray finish on cardboard while making adjustments until I'm satisfied with the pattern and finish distribution.

Paul B. Cresti
08-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Larry,
So far I have been using a Precat Conv Varnish (water based) and it is working well with not dilution. If I am brushing it I dilute it by 10% and get decent results, if I am very careful about my brush strokes. But by far spraying does offer the best results.