PDA

View Full Version : Picture of new lathe

Ted Evans
05-25-2009, 11:00 PM
A couple of weeks or so ago, I stated that I had ordered a lathe. I just became aware of a “policy” that we are supposed to post pictures validating such a claim so I will comply.

It set up quite easily and runs very smoothly. Although its location is not ideal, that must be addressed later. My shop is a disaster at present and I seem to have higher priorities than shop organization.

I have not tried to turn a project. All I have been doing with the time available for the lathe is to practice with the tools. I wish to develop better skills, especially with the skews, before starting a project. I’m getting better with the finger nail gouges but really like the finish left from the skews. I have to learn to pay closer attention than what I have so far, if you get my drift.

The lathe was purchased primarily for cleaning up and sanding columns and pilasters that are fabricated with the ornamental mill. However, after looking at all the beautiful turnings done by those in this group, I’m getting the urge to make something round rather than flat and straight. But, I still like to eat so I have to do first what puts food on the table.

Bear

Mark Norman
05-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Yep, posting pics on a woodworking forum takes priority over shop org. for me too:o

I like the rack with the tools at the ready. Looks real handy.

Congrats on the new machine!

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2009, 11:42 PM
Congrats on your new lathe! Glad to see you are putting it to use!

Jim Kountz
05-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Congrats on the new lathe, I have the same one and can tell you that you will love it!!

alex carey
05-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Congrats on the new lathe, yes, looking at everyone else's turnings certainly sucks you further and further into the vortex, but don't worry, its nice in here.

Jeff Nicol
05-26-2009, 7:10 AM
Ted/Bear, Nice new lathe and looks like you have been putting it to good use. If you could see my shop you would think that yours looks like an operating room! I have been working like the dickens to get it cleaned and organized and I am making progress. I will post some pics when It is ready for the big reveal!

Have fun and congrats on the Jet!

Jeff

Chris Stolicky
05-26-2009, 10:12 AM
A couple of weeks or so ago, I stated that I had ordered a lathe. I just became aware of a “policy” that we are supposed to post pictures validating such a claim so I will comply.

It set up quite easily and runs very smoothly. Although its location is not ideal, that must be addressed later. My shop is a disaster at present and I seem to have higher priorities than shop organization.

I have not tried to turn a project. All I have been doing with the time available for the lathe is to practice with the tools. I wish to develop better skills, especially with the skews, before starting a project. I’m getting better with the finger nail gouges but really like the finish left from the skews. I have to learn to pay closer attention than what I have so far, if you get my drift.

The lathe was purchased primarily for cleaning up and sanding columns and pilasters that are fabricated with the ornamental mill. However, after looking at all the beautiful turnings done by those in this group, I’m getting the urge to make something round rather than flat and straight. But, I still like to eat so I have to do first what puts food on the table.

Bear

Nice lathe. I guess I'll have to post a pic of mine, too? My camera seems to be scared of my shop though....

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Congrats on the lathe and nice to see it has shavings on it.

John W Dixon
05-26-2009, 1:33 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. I just got mine Friday, also a Jet 1642. In the process of running electrical and my shop is a disaster too. Have fun and remember projects made require pictures too.

John

Ted Evans
05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
How about some before and after pics? I'm afraid I will only have before ones.

Ted Evans
05-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. One question, how long does it take to get proficient with the skew? At my age, I am not sure I will last that long.