PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0513 Bandsaw Blade

Kabek Johnson
08-15-2004, 5:17 AM
Hello,

What be your opinion on a blade for the Grizzly G0513 that would be used for everything? All work would be on dry woods. I have read a number of posts which lean towards the Lenox possibly something like the 3/8" with 3-4 VP. Or is it wiser to buy one general purpose blade and another for resawing if I were to grow the money tree in the backyard?

Any thoughts.

JayStPeter
08-15-2004, 10:22 AM
I don't think I can totally answer your question. You may use your G0513 differently than I do. My suggestion is to buy a variety of Timberwolf blades and see which ones get the most use. Once you determine the most used, upgrade to carbide. I think I got 4 blades for under $50 at the ww show last year (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4).
My personal experience with my G0513 is that I use either a 3/4" for resawing or a thin (1/4" I think) blade the majority of the time. I'm usually too lazy to change to something in between. I do keep a small supply of cheap 1/2" fine tooth blades for cutting aluminum, MDF, etc. I think over time I'll probably buy the 3/8" and 1" carbide blades.

Jay

Joseph N. Myers
08-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Kabek,

I agree with Jay.

What size blade does your Grizzly take? A lot of times you can get new blades from people that upgraded their standand unit to do resawing, i.e., 93-1/2 to 105". I know that I have some new bi-metal 93-1/2" blades that I can't uses because I upgraded.

Regards, Joe

Jim Becker
08-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Iturra sells the Lennox cabides in 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4". While expensive initially, they can last a very long time...sometimes years...as compared to literally hours for most steel blades, including Timberwolf, Olson, Lennox, etc. The only thing I wouldn't recomment the carbide tipped blades for is wet wood for turning...the 1/2" Timberwolf AS is about the best thing for that purpose. If you don't want to go for a carbide, than I'll second the motion on the Timberwolf blades direct from Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com). (Buying direct will save you close to half the retail packaged price you'll find in woodworking stores for blades made from the same blade stock.