PDA

View Full Version : SCM Sandblasters

Benjamin Maine
05-25-2009, 9:45 PM
Is anyone familiar with SCM sandblasters? I am thinking about purchasing their Jet Stream Two package, which includes pressure pot, cabinet, dust collector, and photo stencil. Is this a quality product, or will I be disappointed?

I am interested in deep engraving into ceramic and granite.

Benjamin Maine

Gary Hair
05-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Benjamin,
You will find that they do have good, quality products. You will also find that you can put together your own components and save a TON of money. Check out cuttingedgesandcarving.com- you'll find a bunch of very helpful people there who are very willing to help you make a good decision on the equipment and then help you use it. I think I have about $1,500 in my setup and it does everything that the SCM system does, for about 1/2 the price. If you don't have the time to put your system together then you will probably do well with their system, otherwise I would do it yourself.

Gary

Leigh Costello
05-26-2009, 8:13 PM
I agree with Gary. Shop around to make your own system. If you would rather buy out of the box, go ahead. Either way, you will have a lot of neat new toys to play with.

Benjamin Maine
05-26-2009, 9:49 PM
You are probably right that I will be happier putting together my own system. I had thought about this and was having no luck looking online, but now that I have access to several forums, I can get more help finding the right web sites.

My new concern is safety (i.e. respirators). The SCM site makes everything look so simple and makes no mention of breathing safety. I knew that it was harder than they made it appear, but now that I am reading on the forums, it looks REALLY hard and I am getting discouraged. I had planned on blasting in my garage, but now I think that I will need a workshop away from my living space. Is that the case? I will be blasting mostly ceramic tile and also some granite tile.

Benjamin

Gary Hair
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
You are probably right that I will be happier putting together my own system. I had thought about this and was having no luck looking online, but now that I have access to several forums, I can get more help finding the right web sites.

My new concern is safety (i.e. respirators). The SCM site makes everything look so simple and makes no mention of breathing safety. I knew that it was harder than they made it appear, but now that I am reading on the forums, it looks REALLY hard and I am getting discouraged. I had planned on blasting in my garage, but now I think that I will need a workshop away from my living space. Is that the case? I will be blasting mostly ceramic tile and also some granite tile.

Benjamin

Benjamin,
I blast in my garage and know for a fact that there are tons of people doing the same. That doesn't mean it's safe, but I know that I take the precautions necessary to make it safe. First, I vent my blower outside. Anyone who tells you that a dust collector with a bag will capture the dust from blasting is crazy. The size of the particles that you are concerned about are so small that airflow through anything that could capture them would be a trickle. Second, I wear a niosh respirator wheneven I sift or handle the blast media. If I'm outside blasting a large piece, I have a forced air respirator. I only have one set of lungs and damaged them enough smoking for 22 years (quit 10 years ago), I'm not taking any chances.

Anything that has silica in can be very dangerous and you need to take precautions to prevent it from getting in your lungs. Google silicosis if you want a scary wakeup call.

If you vent outside like I do, make sure it's going in a direction that is away from people. You could setup some kind of water filtration, I'm sure there is info on the net somewhere about how to set that up.

Gary

jim carter
05-27-2009, 1:13 PM
i use a dewalt 3750 psi pressure washer with a sandblast attachment. i need the pressure because i use #3 washed and kiln dryed sand. with smaller media, you can use a 2400-3000. no dust so you can blast outside. i just use a full face shield. the sand mixes with water as its coming out of the tip. no loss of pressure like air blasting unless you have a huge tank.

Benjamin Maine
05-27-2009, 8:16 PM
i use a dewalt 3750 psi pressure washer with a sandblast attachment. i need the pressure because i use #3 washed and kiln dryed sand. with smaller media, you can use a 2400-3000. no dust so you can blast outside. i just use a full face shield. the sand mixes with water as its coming out of the tip. no loss of pressure like air blasting unless you have a huge tank.

I've never heard of this method. Would it be possible to engrave text and pictures using a mask like regular sand blasting? If so, why doesn't everyone use a pressure washer to sandblast stone, glass, and ceramic? It would help solve (but not completely eliminate) the dust problem. My guess is that a pressure washer would be better outside.

Benjamin

Benjamin Maine
05-27-2009, 8:26 PM
Benjamin,
I vent my blower outside. Anyone who tells you that a dust collector with a bag will capture the dust from blasting is crazy. The size of the particles that you are concerned about are so small that airflow through anything that could capture them would be a trickle.

Anything that has silica in can be very dangerous and you need to take precautions to prevent it from getting in your lungs. Google silicosis if you want a scary wakeup call.

Gary

I assume you use a dust collector and then vent outside. My thinking was that I would use a cyclone, then a baghouse, and then vent outside. Perhaps I would even use a water filter after the baghouse. I might also duct everything with large diameter PVC. It would cost more, but it would be airtight. I would also use a respirator. If you don't have your health, then you don't have much.

I was wondering why potters don't worry about dust because surely there is silica in all clay. I googled this and discovered that potters do indeed worry about dust. They try to keep everything wet to keep the dust down.

Benjamin

Susan Riddle
06-10-2009, 12:06 AM
We have the Jet Stream one. We have been very happy with it although we don't use it as much as we thought we would. If you have any other questions about the system email me privately and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Thank you

Susan