PDA

View Full Version : Flower Keepsake Box

Rick Gifford
05-25-2009, 9:04 PM
My wife has a keepsake box made with stained glass, fully enclosed and sealed. Her father who used to do stained glass made it for her to store flowers she received growing up... prom, boyfriends, etc.

My daughter wanted one but her grandpa hasnt messed with that in a long time.

So I got the task of making one out of wood.

I bought a set of Whiteside miniature rail and style bits to make the four sides. Of course using glass instead of a panel for display purposes.

I had the lid laser engraved.

She chose the wood herself. I was thinking she'd pick purpleheart, pink ivory... but no she wanted dark wood. She selected Wenge. I asked are you sure you really want such a dark box? Oh yes, thats exactly what she wanted. Who am I to debate.

Good thing I didnt try and suprise her with a gift, I would have guessed lighter wood.

The lid is held in place by use of rare earth magnets (3mm X 6mm) on each end. I purposely sunk the magnets that are in the body down so they dont actually connect to the magnets in the lid. Those rare earth magnets can be a bear to seperate once they make a connection!

The finish is varnish. The inside bottom of the box has a mirror to reflect whatever light shines in. This is basically a display box for dried flowers.

Brad Wood
05-25-2009, 10:03 PM
very cool. how did you do the lettering?

edit: never mind, perhaps I should read the whole OP first :)

John Thompson
05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Looks great and second the... how ya do the lettering?

Sarge..

Jim Kountz
05-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Nice job on the box, something to keep and hand down to the next generation Im sure!!

Ed Sallee
05-26-2009, 5:58 AM
What a great idea! Nice looking box!