PDA

View Full Version : Using the log hauling trailer video

Jeff Nicol
05-25-2009, 6:32 PM
Well I finally got the little video of the log hauler up on YouTube so you can see how it works and how goofy I am! I need a new chain fall but this one still has some life left in it, maybe a little oil here and there would help! Any way for all the guys who showed interest in the trailer here is the link to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkXD03CE4HU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkXD03CE4HU)

Happy Memorial day,

Jeff

Bob Vallaster
05-25-2009, 7:30 PM
I like it.

BobV

Greg Haugen
05-25-2009, 7:35 PM
how goofy I am!

I've had the pleasure of experiencing a little of it in person. :D I'm thinking that a road trip a little north and seeing how much trouble, or shavings, you and I can make would be a lot of fun. :rolleyes:

Great Video as always!! Looks like Brian is working hard too.... :-)

Allen Neighbors
05-25-2009, 7:39 PM
Jeff, you lazy outfit!! Just kidding!
That's a fine looking rig. If I was younger, I'd want one. Well thought out!

Larry Marley
05-25-2009, 7:51 PM
that is cool

John Fricke
05-25-2009, 8:16 PM
I started making plans to copy this idea as soon as I saw the picture of it several weeks ago. I've got an old trailer I'm gonna use. Currently on the lookout for an I-beam. I'm lazier than Jeff, I've got a heavy duty 12V Warn Winch on an old swamp buggy that I'm gonna scavenge and use in place of the chain fall.

Eugene Wigley
05-25-2009, 8:45 PM
Jeff. You are da man!! I gotta get me a trailer like that. I'm getting too old to pole roll logs on the trailer. What size IBeam did you use? What is the most weight you have lifted with it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Bernie Weishapl
05-25-2009, 8:51 PM
Pretty cool trailer Jeff. I have plans to put a swinging arm on it with a 12V heavy duty winch. I won't be lifting log as big as yours.

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2009, 9:03 PM
Pretty cool! Sure beats chainsawing the logs in the field, rolling them over to the truck and then lifting them! I'm not that old - but I'm not that strong anymore either!! :eek:

Mark Norman
05-25-2009, 9:22 PM
I was/am still very interested in the log loader you built. Dont mind if I copy you do ya?

I have a similar chain fall and trolley in my shop, though it has not seen as much use as yours. I was researching I-beams to use as the ways for my lathe and the local pipe and steel supplier quoted me $7/ft for 4"x 6" material.

Again great job! Thanks for going through the trouble to make the vid for us:D

Jim Kountz
05-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Well Jeff, this is great!! I remember getting some photos of this beast from you several months ago but to see it in action is even better. Thanks!!

alex carey
05-26-2009, 12:51 AM
The Wright brothers created the Airplane, Gutenberg invented the printing press, Alexander Bell created the Telephone and Jeff Nicol created the log loader.

SERIOUSLY, that is really cool. You have no idea how much trouble I go to to get stuff that weighs a quarter of your logs into my car. That is a great invention.

Jeff Nicol
05-26-2009, 7:00 AM
A very "WOOD" morning to all!

Well the old log hauler has been a life save and a back and shoulder saver for me! Like I said before I got hooked up with a tree service guy and he started giving me logs of all types and I needed a way to pick them up that was inexpensive. I had all the stuff and had built the trailer a year or 2 earlier so all I had to do wast put it together.

Eugene, I think the largest log I ever picked up was a 36" dia white oak log that was 9' long, not sure what it weighed but it was heavy! A month or so ago I got a big Hackberry log about the same size and it was comparable. The chain fall is a 1ton size so since it still is holding on not more than #2000.

Greg, Anytime you need a break from the life of the stay at home dad and super woodturner, you let me know! I will have the 3 lathes ready and all the wood we can turn!

Steve, I was thinking the same thing that Greag was thinking about a road trip to the UP. Let me know a good time to just show up to use the bathroom!

Everyone who wants to copy the beast go for it! The "I" beam is 8"deep and 4" wide with 1/4" thick webs. I had mine laying around from some log forgotten job, but if you can find a salvage yard or used steel business you should be able to get some pretty cheap. The winch thing is a good thing too, I have a #2000 one that I mount on the front when I want to pull things up the ramps and drag them forward. It will also mount on the trolley with 4 bolts to lift things too. We lifted my Dad's 700lb metal turning lathe with it no problem and that was a good test.

Have fun all!

Jeff

Mike Svoma
05-26-2009, 9:14 PM
Count me in for that road trip, Jeff.

Jarrod McGehee
05-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Count me in too... eventually. I need to get out of school first.

Dave Schell
05-27-2009, 9:07 AM
Jeff, I tried the link in your first post and youtube says "this video has been removed by the user." Anyone else still see it? Thanks

Jeff Nicol
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Dave, We uploaded a better video that can be watched on the High Quality setting. Here is the new link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZFM2_OM_eA&feature=channel_page

Jeff

Dave Schell
05-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Jeff - thanks for the new link. Great video and brilliant idea. You got me thinking. Thanks.

George Morris
05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Great idea thanks for posting!!George