View Full Version : $169 for a floor model Dalta Midi?

Robert Cox
08-14-2004, 8:37 PM
Has 2 wrenches, a cup center, knockout bad, and a 3' faceplate.

Known problems.

no manual.
Missing set screw in the tail stock, so it won't work right.
no spur center.
No safety key in the switch.

The locals Lowes insistes that the price is lowered to $169 because of those things. Manager refuses to lower it any more.

Would you buy it or pass?

James Carmichael
08-14-2004, 9:41 PM
Pass, that is the closeout price for a new-in-box lathe. There's a very nice Delta rebate on that lathe, a free bed extension or set of turning tools, I believe either is worth about $100. No box, no rebate.

I had a similar experience at HD, found an NIB Grey Ridgid WL1200 that someone had returned. They were closing those out for $77 a few months ago, but they had $297 on it. The SKU is no longer valid so they can't confirm the sales price. Tool manager said 10% off, I said goodbye.

Robert Cox
08-15-2004, 2:07 PM
And I was thinking it might cost $100 to get it into shape.

A double whammy.

I'll pass.

Thanks

R

Christopher Stahl
08-15-2004, 9:05 PM
The Lowe's in town is selling new in box Midi Lathes for $169.00. They are also special order. Check and see if they'll order you one for that price. If not, I'd pass.

chris

Charles McKinley
08-15-2004, 10:05 PM
Buying all that stuff through delta will kill any "deal" I learned this through the "Deal" I got on a display model BOSS a year or so ago.

Pass

Tom Mullane
08-16-2004, 7:27 AM
I went to the local Lowes to get a DP350 drill press... they only had the display (even though they told me on the phone they had 4 in stock)... I made a bit of a stink and had the manager call around and they sent a new in the box one from another store.. took 2 days to get there, but I got the new in the box one I wanted...
Sometimes you need to make a little noise... don't let them tell you it can't be done...
Sometimes you need to tell the powers that be that you will go over their head and complain... they really don't like to here that...

Christopher Pine
08-16-2004, 5:33 PM
I agree with the others pass! A jet mini lathe very similiar to this is not much more than this new!
Chris

Has 2 wrenches, a cup center, knockout bad, and a 3' faceplate.

Known problems.

no manual.
Missing set screw in the tail stock, so it won't work right.
no spur center.
No safety key in the switch.

The locals Lowes insistes that the price is lowered to $169 because of those things. Manager refuses to lower it any more.

Would you buy it or pass?

Robert Cox
08-17-2004, 1:34 PM
Irrelevant now.

Oven went into an unstoppable self clean cycle.

There went $600.

Jim Becker
08-17-2004, 2:20 PM
Doh!!!!!!!!

Robert Cox
08-17-2004, 8:29 PM
I could have fixed it for $200 in parts according the repairclinic.com site.

BTW, they are great, fixed a built in microwave for $5! Shops wanted 100 to look.

Anyway, I decided that $200 in parts to MAYBE fix something that only cost a little more than that when new AND could burn my house down with my kids in it.....

Long story short, I like my new Ceramic top, convection oven range and the old one hit the metal bin at the landfill this AM.