PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs help

mike maxson
05-25-2009, 1:35 PM
hello everyone,
I am totally new to the whole engraving thing and think it would be a fun hobby and maybe make a few bucks. I'm a laid off textile worker so my computer knowledge isn't all that much other than building a few gaming machines. I have done a lot of reading but I'm having a hard time figuring out what is best for me. If someone could point me down the right path that would be great..
my plans--engraving on anodized aluminum (luggage tags, dog tags) to start with..
what I have--a dedicated PC, $1000.00 for an engraver and a friend with a ton of different programs from college photo shop and stuff like that and a pet store to sell tags at. my problems-what type of machine is best for me? I've been looking at this Roland EGX-20 not sure if I can get for what I want to spend..does anyone have something for sale that would fit my needs? It needs to fit in my small den area. what programs will I need?

Larry Bratton
05-25-2009, 3:31 PM
Mike:
Most of the members in this forum are into laser engraving. Why don't you look around on E-bay etc for mechanical engravers, such as New Hermes etc. Your limited budget is going to make it tough but not impossible to get into this. Also,graphics knowledge is a must for this type work. Good luck to you.

Colleen Williams
05-25-2009, 3:55 PM
Hi Mike,

I have an EGX-20 and it is a great little machine. Takes very little space on your desktop and just keeps working along. It is perhaps not the fastest machine on the market, but it does a good job at what it does do. I don't know if you will be able to find one for your $1000 cap. You don't seem to see them used. The rep here says that is because if someone has one they usually hold on to it even if they upgrade to a larger machine and just use it for the smaller stuff that they do. I think you will have to look at investing the new price which I think is about $2500 right now.

Good luck with your plans!