PDA

View Full Version : How to repair plane depth adjuster rod thread?

Alan Zenreich
05-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Greetings,

I have a Millers Falls #14 plane, and the threads on the depth adjuster rod need to be cleaned up. The threads got bent over, and ideally, I'd just run a die of the correct size over the threads to clean them up.

However, it's a left hand thread, and I don't know the thread size, so looking for the correct die is a challenge. I do know that it's the same size as Stanley Bailey planes, the depth adjuster knobs are interchangeable.

Would it better to try restore the threads, or should I attempt to remove the threaded rod from the frog and replace the rod entirely. I've not tried removing the rod... I don't know if it's a trivial operation or if it's in there very tight.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Michael Sobik
05-25-2009, 2:44 PM
The threads on my #607 are 9/32"-24 left hand, which I haven't been able to find a die for. I think you could have one custom ground, but it'd probably be easier to remove the rod and replace it. Finding nuts to double nut it will be tough as well. Vice grips and lots of Liquid Wrench maybe would do it. You can get replacements from Bob Kaune at Antique Used Tools.

Al Biggles
05-25-2009, 3:31 PM
Would it better to try restore the threads, or should I attempt to remove the threaded rod from the frog and replace the rod entirely.

Get a thread file, they are great for touching up dinged threads. They are square with eight different TPI on them, you match the file & thread tpi and work around the threads to clean them up.

Alan Zenreich
05-25-2009, 4:50 PM
Thanks, I just ordered a thread file. If that doesn't work, I'll try the replacement route.

Bruce Page
05-25-2009, 4:54 PM
A small triangular jeweler’s file and a little time, will do the trick.

Robby Tacheny
05-25-2009, 10:52 PM
On one of my Stanley planes, the depth rod unscrewed and came out. I am not familiar with Miller Falls planes, but if yours is capable of coming out then starting a nut from the rear (end normally in the frog) and going toward the bent portion might straighten out the affected area.

-R