PDA

View Full Version : Lathe question

Lynn Sonier
08-14-2004, 7:51 PM
A friend was cleaning up his father's shop and gave me this lathe. It hasn't been used in over 20 years. It can handle wood up to 24" long and 8" across. Got it cleaned up and running but would like to know what brand and/or model it is. Couldn't find any writing on it other than "Pat Pending". Believe it or not, the motor, which is the same age, still works. I used it on the lathe today for about 20 minutes and it barely got warm.
I know this is a metal cutting lathe but I plan to use it basically for woodturning. A lot of the parts have been lost or thrown away. I am using a 3450 rpm motor and the lathe is turning at about 1450. This is my first experience with a lathe and I am have a good time practicing.

Jim Becker
08-14-2004, 8:30 PM
Lynn, that's a nice find. You'll want to find a way to slow it down for turning things that are not small spindles. This is a safety issue...14xx RPM is too fast for a lot of things, although fine for pens, etc. Adapting the tool rest will also be a creative exercise, but I think you'll be able to do it. You may want to make some kind of cover to shield all that gearing, etc., from chips as well as your shirt sleeves.

Of course, you do have the option of leaving it a metal lathe as even woodworkers can sometimes find good use of such a thing on various projects, making custom pulls and parts as well as some tooling.

Greg Mann
08-14-2004, 8:46 PM
I'm with Jim on covering the gears. It scares me to just look at 'em. With a little playing around I think you will find some useable speeds. Metalworking lathes of this type generally have some pretty slow speeds. You need them to generate enough power for the extra force neede to make the cuts.

Greg

Wes Bischel
08-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Lynn,

Now that's one cool lathe!

From your pics, looks like you got a Barnes lathe:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/barnes/index.html

(note the details on the apron, tailstock, headstock etc.) Check the legs to see if there was a place for the flywheel and treadle to tie in. From your dimensions it looks like yours matches the 9" model.
I suspect the issue with the speed is due to the motor conversion if it is indeed a Barnes which for the most part were treadle powered.

Either way, since it is a plain bearing model make sure you oil the headstock bearings each time you use it - especially now with the speeds the motor is driving it.

Really cool lathe - do you have any more of the history?

Wes

Lynn Sonier
08-15-2004, 9:01 AM
Thanks for the response, guys. Wes, you're right, the base of the lathe looks exactly like the one on the website. No, I have no more history than I cited.
Regarding the gears, none of them turn in the configuration I have now. As I get more into it, I will figure out a way to slow down the speed.
Regarding the oiling, I have been dripping motor oil into there often.

Thanks