PDA

View Full Version : BBQ reccomendation

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-24-2009, 9:50 PM
Texas Sizzler II by Golden Blount.

I've had mine for about 10 years now and the thing is bullet proof.
I caused the racks to rust - Yah SST and I made 'em rust and they replaced 'em free no questions asked.
I cracked the infra red heating elements and they gave me new ones Free no questions asked.

Last year I cooked almost every single meal on it. I normally use it all winter and use it about twice a week or more.

This grill is the SHIZZ and the folks at Golden Blount are well golden.

Tom Godley
05-26-2009, 2:22 PM
Nice to hear about good customer service.

I purchased a gas grill from DCS a few years ago and the customer service has been just horrific - it is amazing how some companies can do it so well and others just do not get it. I will never buy another DCS product

As to the Sizzler -- looks like a nice unit -- I see the use of infrared burners in many of the new units. Some look better built then others.

I purchased a "Big Green Egg" last year for a vacation house - uses charcoal - and love it.

Joe Hardesty
05-26-2009, 2:54 PM
I purchased a "Big Green Egg" last year for a vacation house - uses charcoal - and love it.

I've had my Big Green Egg for about 3 years and it is by far the best grill I have ever owned. For steaks, I am convinced there is nothing better.

John Lohmann
05-26-2009, 3:02 PM
Big green egg, I've had one for +15 years, smoked turkeys, Boston butts at & grills steaks at over 750 degrees. Highly recommended for people that care about cooking meat, not just grilling burgers.

Chris Padilla
05-26-2009, 3:19 PM
What do this Big Green Eggs go for? What do you have and what did it cost. They look nice...pricey...but nice. I will have to check 'em out locally...I see place near me is a dealer....

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2009, 3:27 PM
I hear lots of nice things about the Egg.
I understand they are especially good for people who have limited space.

John Lohmann
05-26-2009, 3:52 PM
I've got a large egg, it was a gift, they cost $750. They are made of some type of ceramic & are very well insulated. The meat will not dry out like on normal grills, basting is not required. Many people have them mounted in tables, I've never heard about people buying them because they don't take up much space. They are heavy, mine weighs around 140lbs.

Rob Wright
05-27-2009, 5:25 PM
We've got a Mini Egg Big Green Egg, a Primo XL and a Primo JR (http://www.primogrill.com/products.html) Just call us the Department of Rendundancy Department. Absolutely love all of them. Prefer the way that the Primo's are built along with they are American made. We always cooked/grilled on gas before, but the adjustment to lump charcoal is quite easy. My wife cooks turkeys, suckling pigs, butts, whole prime ribs, primal cuts of meat (15 plus pounds!) Pizza, bread, vegetables, corn you name it! We've made pastrami, smoked sausage, Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, pulled pork.....

Worth the price and the forums's are just like here:)

Tom Godley
05-27-2009, 6:34 PM
The Primo's look nice also.

I went with a charcoal grill because I did not want to always be carrying a propane take to the house - went with the BGE because my neighbor has been touting his for at least ten years!.

I agree with the lump charcoal -- it is much easier than I would have imagined. The grill is ready in no time at all.

Eric Larsen
05-30-2009, 5:09 PM
I have a T.E.C. Patio II, that is on it's last legs (the infrared elements are slowly on their way out -- I think the change from Florida to Nevada had something to do with it.)

When it goes, I'm getting the Golden Blount. I will happily shell out for that kind of quality. Nothing wrong with the T.E.C., the Blount has better service. Everyone seems to agree on that.

But for barbecuing -- REAL barbecuing -- wood, charcoal or both, depending what kind of protein is in the smoker.

Scott Challoner
05-30-2009, 7:16 PM
I've been thinking of getting a Char-Griller Dou. That way I can cook with gas during the week and use the side fire box for slow cooking stuff on the weekends. Anybody have any experience with these? Does lump charcoal last any longer than regular? I was wondering if I can load up the side firebox with lump and not have to replenish as soon as briquettes.