PDA

View Full Version : Got Randy's articulated arm this week

sascha gast
05-24-2009, 8:55 PM
and I gotta say it's just amazing. I have the Keith CLark hollowing rig and the two will compliment each other just great. I installed it and had to try it out right away.

best thing, all my hollowers can fit, turned my first HF to 1/8" thick from top to bottom. I am just amazed at Randy's craftsmanship. if you are trying to look for a great hollowing setup, look no further.

it's smooth like butter and the finish on the inside brought a tear to my eye when I held a flashlight inside

thank you Randy, you are the man

http://www.pbase.com/saschagast/image/112915749.jpg

Mark Norman
05-24-2009, 9:09 PM
I cant wait to be turning HF's such as yours. You are an inspiration.

That and coring are in my future:D

Brian McInturff
05-24-2009, 9:28 PM
Sascha,
I hate to even ask this, do you prefer it over Keiths Hollowing setup. I got the Keith Clark system right after you got yours. Yours was the reason I got mine, seeing that it fit the Stubby. The only thing I don't like about Keiths is it's so friggin' heavy. Also, how is the laser system on it compared to Keiths.

sascha gast
05-24-2009, 9:59 PM
Sascha,
I hate to even ask this, do you prefer it over Keiths Hollowing setup. I got the Keith Clark system right after you got yours. Yours was the reason I got mine, seeing that it fit the Stubby. The only thing I don't like about Keiths is it's so friggin' heavy. Also, how is the laser system on it compared to Keiths.

it's apples and oranges, for taller forms, I would use my Keith Clark. the laser is different, but it almost has to be, so it would be long enough, but Randy's laser is easier imho.

the arm is just amazing, I barely set up my Keith Clark, it is heavy, but it has to be, but don't be fooled, the Monster arm is a marvel of machining, it's heavy, I built a little base where I can store it, otherwise it kinda flops around.

all I can say is, get the monster arm and use it on anything up to 8-9 inches and the Keith for anything deeper, though I wouldn't mind getting Randy's captured rig too, just because

I'm telling ya, that Randy is something

alex carey
05-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Wow Sascha you have a really nice set up, congrats on the new articulated arm.

Andrew Derhammer
05-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Anyone else have shop envy?:D

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Sasha - congrats on your new articulating arm system! I have both of Randy's systems and absolutely love them! I use the captured system for roughing out the form and the articulated arm for finishing. Both have their functions and both are exceptionally well made!

The articulated arm is beyond smooth! Wait until you have a little mileage on it and get used to the way things feel. You will be amazed at the control you have!

Again - congrats! Looks like you have quite the setup!

Bernie Weishapl
05-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Sasha the articulating arm is a great tool. I love mine. I have had it for a year now and with his scrapers I can get the inside smooth enough I don't even sand much anymore. I also have his captured system to do larger HF's. It is built just as tough and nice as the arm unit. I wouldn't be without either. Both are the best money I ever spent on tools.

alex carey
05-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Andrew, I have huge shop envy right now.

Brian McInturff
05-24-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm guessing his shop is probably 70 degrees year round too. If so then I'm more than envious:D. I can't do any turning when the heat hits 90 degrees outside. My shop becomes an oven. I'm thinking about adding a window unit to mine. I'd love to play around in Sascha's shop for a few days. His airbrush setup looks awesome, just wished I knew how to really use one.

sascha gast
05-25-2009, 1:27 AM
just come on by, we'll haver some fun

it's nice in my shop all year long, hehe