PDA

View Full Version : Scarfed up some planes....

jerry nazard
05-24-2009, 7:43 PM
Purchased 10 planes today off of Craig's List: #6, #4, Millers Falls #10 (4 1/2), two Sargent jacks, a no-name #3, a #35 transitional, and three block planes. The attached photo is taken off of the CL listing. All ten for $105.

The Millers Falls #10 is in really good shape, just needs sharpening and a bit of cleaning. The #6 is rusted and very grungy but the sole is flat and not pitted. The #4 looks to be a bit more recent but the sole is flat, frog mating surfaces are surprisingly good, and with a sharp blade the plane performs well.

The Sargents and the #35 transitional are new to me. Any feedback and advice on these planes would be appreciated.

I guess that for $105 this post would qualify as a gloat....

-Jerry

Rob Luter
05-24-2009, 8:53 PM
I have a MF #10 and it's a good smoother.

Jim Koepke
05-24-2009, 10:13 PM
I guess that for $105 this post would qualify as a gloat....

Yep, I think you got yourself a fine box of gloat there.

jim

Robby Tacheny
05-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Excellent buy!

Archie England
05-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Greetings.

Sounds like you got a great deal.

I've rehabbed a bunch of old planes (a friend gave me three buckets of planes damaged by Hurricane Katrina). Though only one of these is a Sargent Jack, I've got an assortment of smoothers and jointers. They are excellent planes, every bit as good as the comparable Stanley or Millers Falls. The VBM types are my favorite of the types, but ymmv. Earlier, good Craftsman were made typically by Sargent or Millers Falls--and they are great users, too; the later Craftsman, not so good.

Hopefully, others can help you with the transitionals. I've got a few but don't yet have much experience with rehab or use of them.

Good luck with your new toys . . . uh, I mean tools!!!!

AE:D