PDA

View Full Version : Playing with photos

Don Carter
05-24-2009, 7:19 PM
I have been trying to enhance my photos. I just set up a personal website and I realized my photos on the kitchen table were just not that good. I have attached some photos. What do you think of the work and the photos?
Thanks for your help.

alex carey
05-24-2009, 7:22 PM
Im not at all an expert on photos but the last one looks pretty much perfect, the first two make the turning seem too far away.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Don - a lot of what we see in photos is the result of a good graphics program and knowing how to use it. What program are you using?

All of the following is only opinion and worth what you paid for it.

As far as your photos above - the first one should be cropped to allow everyone to see the details of the subject. Nice little birdhouse by the way! The photo is pretty dark and could be the result of your camera's exposure setting. In this case it is underexposed. Your next photo is washed out with to much light - so it is overexposed. The bowl - very nice work also - is slightly dark - meaning underexposed and because it is fairly wide - you have to watch your depth of field. In this case the back portion of the bowl is in better focus than the front portion.

Does any of this make sense? Let me know if you have additional questions.

alex carey
05-24-2009, 10:56 PM
This picture taking really is an art I will never understand.

Don Carter
05-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Steve:
This is what I am looking for, thanks. I am using Picasa software. The first two are the same photo, obviously, but I played around with the light fill. I am using a cheap Nikon camera and I will continue to experiment.
I am using a 500 watt halogen inside the light tent. Should that be enough?

Thanks for you help and I will trudge on. I am no photographer but the breakfast table will not do anymore.

Steve Schlumpf
05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Don - lighting is always something we play with - especially when trying to create shadows. You should have plenty of light with your 500 watts! I use 2 daylight fluorescent bulbs that are the equivalent of a 60 watt bulb. Not real bright but enough to light the subject without washing out all color.

I use FastStone Image Viewer for a graphics program and, so far, it does everything I ask of it.

Don't knock your camera. I have been using my Canon Power Shot A70 and although it is 6 years old - it still gets the job done! Doesn't mean I wouldn't mind a new DSLR.....

Phillip Bogle
05-25-2009, 3:22 AM
What equipment you have doesn't matter much. I have about $25,000 in photo studio equipment, and for 20 years I had a business of advertising graphic design, printing and photography. The equipment that is expensive will not take better photos, only do them faster and more consistently. So don't knock the set up, just work on your technique. The only exception is a tripod, many beginners try to eliminate the expense, and you HAVE to have a tripod. Try bounce lighting. Reflect the light from a white card or board to scatter and diffuse the light a bit. You can light the piece from underneath with a light under a piece of translucent Plexiglas, which would be a nice technique for the bowl.

Steve is right. Crop the first two, diffuse light the 2nd, and more front diffuse light on the 3rd. In all cases simplify, Pick your subject and eliminate everything else. No one wants to buy blank background, but they will buy a nice turning, IF they can examine it in a detailed photograph. This all take a bit of practice but with turnings it is much easier. Photography is another art form like turning, but presenting your work in a way that does it justice is an important part of selling your work.

John Terefenko
05-25-2009, 7:37 AM
I will leave the pros to talk about your photography. I would like to know where you got the mini bird??? I have never seen that colorful bird. Nice birdhouse ornament by the way.

Don Carter
05-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the replies and the nice comments.

Alex, you are right. Photography is an art unto itself.

John, I got these very small birds at Hobby Lobby.

Phillip, what do you think of this attached photo?

Greg Ketell
05-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Phillip, what do you think of this attached photo?

I'm not Phillip but I think you need to change your stand. I can't tell where the bird house stops and the stand starts. As a turner I know what the bird house will look like but as a "average" shopper all that stuff behind and below the birdhouse... it detracts from the birdhouse and makes it look cluttered.

GK

Don Carter
05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks Greg. It is a grasshopper napkin ring.;) I won't use this when I get through setting up this light box.

Mark Norman
05-25-2009, 12:54 PM
You're second attemp is much improved and I will agree with Greg, loose the stand, maybee hang the ornament with a fine gold thread?

It is cute btw.

Phillip Bogle
05-25-2009, 1:47 PM
I think it is better. The cropping is much improved. Remember to get the piece square on. The bird looks off the center axis a little to the left. Also try a bounce card on the left for fill light. A piece of white card or painted dry wall or ????? and angle it in such a way that the light "bounces" on the subject to fill the other side with light. We use this for portraits frequently, using white or silver for weddings, gold for typical or glamor. Just remember that you will have to adjust for the color of your bounce card. Another thing. If you are setting up in manual mode, and trying to adjust your exposure, meter off the palm of a hand under the same light in the same position. The meters, are all set for 18% gray, and that happens to be the same reflectance as your palm. This will help you get the exposure right. That way you can pay attention to the other issues when you shoot without a lot of fuss.
Phil B.

Thom Sturgill
05-25-2009, 3:00 PM
+1 on the stand. The last is *much* better in terms of light and being cropped properly. As opposed to the wattage of the lights, look at the color temperature, although that can be corrected somewhat in software.

Steve mentioned 'depth of field' this is important as you get into larger pieces.

Dick Sowa
05-25-2009, 8:38 PM
One of the best tutorials on virtually all aspects of photographing turnings was done by fellow turner...http://www.nealaddy.org/node/16

Don Carter
05-25-2009, 8:57 PM
Dick:
Thanks for the link. Neal Addy's tutorial is great!

Steve Schlumpf
05-25-2009, 9:18 PM
meter off the palm of a hand under the same light in the same position. The meters, are all set for 18% gray, and that happens to be the same reflectance as your palm.

Wow, you learn something new every day! Thanks Phil! Been waiting to get back to the twin cities to pick up an 18% gray card - will give this a try first! Appreciate the suggestion!

Ted Evans
05-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Very interesting piece, beautiful wood, I like it and I would like it even better if not for what appears to be an oversize galvanized eyelet. I think a decorative eyelet would add to rather than detract from. I know, picky, and it is just my opinion.