PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought...

Tony Kahn
05-24-2009, 6:04 PM
Has anyone found a way to make a hollow vessel suitable to hold water, besides buying glass inserts? I was thinking about trying polyester casting resin, pour it in and keep the form moving to spread it out until it is set-up enough to stay on its own, my only concern is if the wood moves how bad is it gonna blowup, or will the resin have enough give if kept to say 1/8 to 1/4 inch to move with the wood. anythoughts or has anyone tried it before i attempt?

Adam Grills
05-24-2009, 7:39 PM
If you have a vac pump then do a vaccum bag with epoxy same a doing a canoe.
Adam

Burt Alcantara
05-24-2009, 10:17 PM
I can't recall where I saw this but a chef turned a few bowls for his restaurant. He used them for specific items. He said he had run them through the dish washer 6 times. I believe he finished them with a number of coats of poly.

There was a picture of the bowl on the counter waiting to be picked up. I was impressed and thought of trying this. Basically, any plasticized finish that will be waterproof and temperature resistant should work.

Rich Souchek
05-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Tony,
Wooden cups and bowls have been around nearly forever.
What exactly are you trying to do?
And why would it be different from what was done in the past?
Rich S.

alex carey
05-24-2009, 11:34 PM
he basically wants something to coat the wood with so a vase could hold water for several days without molding or leaking water or distorting the wood in anyway.

I remember my wood shop teacher talked about something like what your looking for. Can't remember what it's called, he said he used it for a cutting board.

Tony Kahn
05-25-2009, 9:20 AM
Alex that is exactly what i am wanting.

Burt Alcantara
05-25-2009, 9:36 AM
Some of the hollow forms I've made wouldn't stick to my vacuum system. I'd pour poly into the form and swirl it around. Did this with about 3 coats. After that the inside was air tight. I'd imagine that with enough coats of any waterproof sealer you would create a waterproof container.

As to how long it would hold would depend on the cure and hardness of the finish. Make a series of small cups. Coat the first with 3 coats, the 2nd with 5, the 3rd with 8. When cured, pour dyed water into each, cover with tightly attached plastic wrap to prevent evaporation and place each in a separate pan with a piece of white paper underneath.

After a while, if the paper looks stained then you have a leaker. You can determine the effectiveness of this test for yourself. And do, please, post the results if you decide to undertake this test as it would be an invaluable reference.

Tony Kahn
05-25-2009, 9:40 AM
Thats kinda what i was thinking burt, maybe use some oak or something real porous, once i know how to get it sealed maple would be nooo problem.

Burt Alcantara
05-25-2009, 9:52 AM
Tony,
A while back I started a thread about making a wooden coffee cup/mug. Didn't get the response I was looking for. I'm still interested in trying it.

Lucien R. Pouliot
05-25-2009, 9:55 AM
Would something like Thomson Water Seal work? I've seen cement blocks sealed with it and held water. That was the idea to seal the block so no water could penitrate and enter your celor.

Lou

Jeff Nicol
05-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Maybe the 2 part table top/bar top resin you can buy at the local big box store would do the trick. It is not real cheap but not that bad for a few vases. There is also some stuff that they use for sealing gas tanks that is poured in and tipped and rolled around until the whole surface is coated. You could try some of that truck box liner that can be rolled on but pour some in and swirl it around just like any of the other stuff. It would make it black inside but it would be sealed for sure!

Jeff

Rich Souchek
05-25-2009, 3:06 PM
For something like a vase (vs a cup) which will hold water, I would just use a simple small diameter x tall enough plastic tube as an insert to hold water. Glass will work also.
My reasoning is the water would cause the wood in contact with the water to swell and the wood above the woater would not. The wood would constantly be trying to tear itself apart. Do not believe most plastic coatings (neither CA glue, epoxy, Thompsons water seal, etc) will keep the water aout of the wood over a period of time, say 20 years. Believe only glass or good qualtiy plastic closed end tube would hold up and keep the wood intact.
A cup or glass that holds water that is constantly being emptied and then drying is a different matter and I could use a sealer or not, depending on ones desire. I use unfinished wooden bowls for eating and enjoy just washing them after use, quick towel drying, and then store out of way with otyher bowls. This would work for a cup or glass also.
Rich S.

Rick Gifford
05-25-2009, 3:54 PM
They line oak barrels with paraffin to be water tight.

Maybe give that a try.