PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite

Tom Winship
05-24-2009, 6:00 PM
Does anyone have good sources of Mesquite wood in the Houston, Dallas, Austin area? I build Maloof style rockers and the wood has to be almost perfect.

Greg Crawford
05-24-2009, 6:40 PM
Tom,

I don't know how much mesquite you've worked with, but it has lots of natural imperfections. That's much of the alure. I can get a whole bunch, but very little is ever "perfect".

The owner of M & G Sawmill in Huntsville told me some of the best mesquite comes from along the Frio River South of San Antonio. He has a source in that area, so you might check with him;

http://www.mgsawmill.com/

William Addison
05-24-2009, 6:54 PM
PM me, I have a source here in deep South Texas. The people will likely work with you on quality but a lot of perfect Mesquite is hard to come by. Personally, I think the coastal stuff has a much nicer color than what is cut further North but it's a matter of preference.

Jim O'Dell
05-24-2009, 7:25 PM
If those ideas don't pan out, try http://www.woodsofmissiontimber.com/sawmill.html They are about an hour north of DFW in Sanger. I haven't been yet, but plan to when I get started on the vanity. Jim.

Paul A. Clark
05-25-2009, 9:24 PM
Tom, check out mesquiteburl.com. They are outside of Austin, really nice to work with. Ask for Rick or Jason

Cody Colston
05-25-2009, 9:56 PM
I'll second the recommendation of M&G Sawmill, about 9 miles west of Huntsville. I doubt you will find better Mesquite anywhere than what Michael carries.

Right now, I have some 8/4 x 8" x 8' long clear Mesquite on the wood rack in my shop that I purchased from M&G Sawmill. They have some primo stuff.

Gerry Garcia
05-25-2009, 9:57 PM
Did you find any mesquite? I run Stingray Mill, 1 hour west of S. Padre. Send me a pm if you still need some. If I dont have enough, I have a friend in Edinburg with a mill and twice as much as me.

Thanks

Gerry Garcia
06-15-2009, 1:56 PM
Did you find any mesquite? I run Stingray Mill, 1 hour west of S. Padre. Send me a pm if you still need some. If I dont have enough, I have a friend in Edinburg with a mill and twice as much as me.

Thanks

I'm actually just a hobbiest but my friend is a commercial miller so I can get just about any quantity there.